Boardman Hybrid Men/Womens?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

X99MYKE

Hi All! Bike newbie here. I have some friends big into cycling and some friends who bike, but just potter about. So I'm definitely after a hybrid so I can get some decent speed on the roads but can mill about the park or cycle paths too.

I've recently took a £1000 cycle to work scheme voucher and had found the bike I wanted which was the Boardman URB 8.6 Hybrid below..

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...n-hybrid-bike-2021---s-m-l-frames-423974.html

However apparently due to covid malarky they have no idea when stock will be available again. Best guess is August but no guarantees.

So I then came accross this, which is a bit more expensive, but still within my voucher price range... Boardman HYB 8.8 MENS
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...8.8-mens-hybrid-bike-2021---small-390038.html

Again unfortunately out of stock and same situation... However... The exact same bike in the 'Womens' variant in Large is IN Stock. I did a quick chat with a halfords online person (not the most reliable source im sure). And she assures me the bikes are actually identical apart from base frame size? So if im a Medium size mans bike, If i got this womens bike in a Large? would that just be about right and is there really no other difference? The colour is obviously a baby blue, but to be honest I actually like the colour. Link below

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...s-hybrid-bike-2021---s-m-l-frames-390326.html

Question is. Is there something im missing in the differences between these bikes? Would I be that guy biking around and everyone looking thinking 'why is he on a womans bike!?' Or is it honestly just colour?

Thanks in advance!

vickster

Legendary Member
Compare the geometries and measurements in the links but sounds about right. You’ll probably want to keep some budget aside for a men’s saddle (something like the £25 charge spoon).
You’ll probably be able to flog the ladies one on eBay for a few quid tho.
Also presuming you’ll be commuting as it’s C2W , probably want to keep some money aside for mudguards

the blue is a much better colour for sure :becool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

X99MYKE

Yeah I actually like the colour. Does it even specifically come with a womens saddle though? I couldnt see for sure. But that would leave me 200 for accessories still to get pedals, spare inner tubes, saddle of needed etc. Maybe a helmet would be wise too lol.
My commute to work is 21 miles in car. Might be slightly shorter through the villages but will maybe have to build up some stamina before I cycle it haha

vickster

Legendary Member
It should do. But see how you get on with the saddle
The bike will come with pedals unless you want to go clip less
you could park and ride ;)

raggydoll

Über Member
Comparing the geometry for each they are slightly different

As you mention, mens medium is similar sizing to womens large.

So comparing the mens medium to the womens large..
The measurements that are different on each are:

Chainstay length - mens 425mm & womens 435mm
Crank length - mens 175mm & womens 170mm
Stem length - mens 100mm & womens 90mm
Handlebar width - mens 620mm & womens 600mm

The rest of the measurements are listed as the same as each other.

Not massively different but regardless you would want to have a test ride to make sure it fits you and is comfortable etc.

Mens:
SizeS (45cm)M (49cm)L (54cm)
Stack554mm577mm601mm
Reach396mm413mm431mm
Seat Tube C-T450mm490mm540mm
Effective Top Tube565mm590mm615mm
Head Tube120mm145mm170mm
Head Angle73°73°°73°
Seat Angle73°73°73°
Chainstay Length425mm425mm425mm
Fork Offset43mm43mm43mm
Bottom Bracket Drop65mm65mm65mm
Crank Length170mm175mm175mm
Stem Length90mm100mm100mm
Handlebar Width600mm620mm620mm

Womens:
SizeS (40cm)M (45cm)L (48cm)
Stack549mm554mm577mm
Reach388mm396mm413mm
Seat Tube C-T400mm450mm490mm
Effective Top Tube545mm565mm590mm
Head Tube115mm120mm145mm
Head Angle71°73°73°
Seat Angle74°73°73°
Chainstay Length435mm435mm435mm
Fork Offset43mm43mm43mm
Bottom Bracket Drop65mm65mm65mm
Crank Length165mm170mm170mm
Stem Length80mm90mm90mm
Handlebar Width580mm600mm600mm

vickster

Legendary Member
Halfords don't do test rides. Might be able to sling a leg over if you can find one on the shop floor.

OP, how tall are you and how long are your legs, 175cm sounds quite a long crank to me?

raggydoll

Über Member
Halfords don't do test rides. Might be able to sling a leg over if you can find one on the shop floor.

OP, how tall are you and how long are your legs, 175cm sounds quite a long crank to me?

I didn't know that.

Just looked it up.
They don't let you test ride a non electric bike.
They let you test ride an electric bike for 30 minutes and some stores allow a 48 hours test ride but they don't let you test ride a non electric bike. I don't get the logic.

I personally wouldn't buy from anywhere that wouldn't let me test ride. I'd need to get out on the bike, up and down the gears, make sure it fits, rides well etc etc..

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You'd need to find out if it fits you, either by comparing geometry charts or by throwing a leg over, you wouldn't necessarily have to ride it.
The HYB would certainly be better if you have any hills on your commute.
Nobody would know if it was a woman's specific bike unless intimately acquainted with the Halfords catalogue so your secret should be safe :smile:

OP
OP
X

X99MYKE

Some great information from you all there thanks. Good to know the differences will be almost neglegent -

Vickster im 5'11 (and a half) so just a fraction under 6 foot. Not exactly sure how long my legs are, but do think theyre slightly longer than my body in comparison to most people, but certianly not massively.

also not gonna lie, from this list..

Chainstay length - mens 425mm & womens 435mm
Crank length - mens 175mm & womens 170mm
Stem length - mens 100mm & womens 90mm
Handlebar width - mens 620mm & womens 600mm

The only one I know what it is is the handlebar width haha. But that is also the biggest difference. Maybe 2CM shorter is very noticible? Honestly no idea. Like most of you said, better to have a look myself, but id highly doubt one will be built in store to look at the way things are!

very tempted to just get it ordered tonight, but dont wanna end up regretting either. If i was certain the other bikes were in stock next month i could handle waiting a month... but the thought of waiting 6 months+ seems shite. Then it will be winter and likely be stuck in the garage

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Nobody would know if it was a woman's specific bike unless intimately acquainted with the Halfords catalogue so your secret should be safe :smile:

They don't really look to be women specific anyway, the basic geometry is consistent apart from the different labelling of the sizes as Small, Medium, Large.
The womens version appears to have 10mm longer chainstays (unless it's an error), which is a good thing anyway as it gives more heel clearance.
Aside from the smallest one with bodged 71/74 degree geometry to get 700 wheels in a frame that's really too small, rather than use 26", all the others are very conventional 73 parallel frames. The top tubes look rather long though, so i would consider what the reach is like. I would not get on with the Large Mens geometry even though I ride 23 1/2" old school steel frames - none of mine have top tubes over two feet long!

Lovacott

Über Member
Some great information from you all there thanks.
Saddles can be moved backwards or forwards a bit, they can be raised or lowered. That will pretty much take care of your riding comfort level if you are looking for a commuter bike and not intending to enter the TDF.

For your height (pretty much the same as me), go for a medium in anything any bike shop sells. Set the saddle height so that your leg is pretty much fully extended on the down stroke and you can only touch the ground with your tippy toes when sat in the saddle.

Someone 5'2" won't be able to make a large bike work for them and someone 6'7" would struggle on a small. But most people can make a medium bike of any make comfortable enough to ride daily.

Dag Hammar

Following the link provided by X99MYKE I had a look at the HYB 8.8 women’s bike.
The handlebar is welded to the stem and ‘featured’ as a “Stylish 1piece handlebar and stem” so if there was a desire to make any adjustments to the handlebar set-up or even switch to different handlebars or a different stem both items would need to be replaced.
I don’t think I’ve seen this before.

Lovacott

Über Member
Following the link provided by X99MYKE I had a look at the HYB 8.8 women’s bike.
The handlebar is welded to the stem and ‘featured’ as a “Stylish 1piece handlebar and stem” so if there was a desire to make any adjustments to the handlebar set-up or even switch to different handlebars or a different stem both items would need to be replaced.
I don’t think I’ve seen this before.
You can still adjust the height and to adjust reach, you can move the saddle.

You can also alter the tilt of the controls and grips.

My Hybrid is the same.

Top Bottom