Boardman Hybrid & Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
R

r1_exup

Marathon 32C tyres on a Boardman Hybrid Team 08

Hi,
Today I tried fitting a Schwalbe Marathon 32C tyre to my Boardman Hybrid Team 08.
The tyre seemed to be a noticeably larger 'inner' diameter than the Maxxis detonator 28C fitted as OEM.
But the big problem was when I started to inflate (~2.5 bar), the tyre popped off the rim and the tube extruded out. This happened a couple of times. I reseating the tyre and tried again. I am confident I had not trapped the tube etc. I also ensured the bead of the tyre was mounted correctly on the rim. Eventually the type poppoed off and the tube exploded at about ~4.5bar (max pressure recommended 5 - 6.5 bar depending on the rim profile).

Any ideas? - is the tyre faulty (I have bought 4-off as part of a CTW scheme), is the rim unsuitable for 32c size, is the Schwalbe Marathon tyre in particular unsuitable for the this narrow rim ?

I see you guys have fitted 35C tyres to a Hybrid Pro!

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

yoffy

Hi,

Coincidentally, I have the exact same bike and fitted the exact same tyre (marathon plus 700x32). I found the tyre went on fine - I used a speedlever, partially inflated then went round the tyre banging it down hard with the palm of my hand to ensure the bead was seated firmly at the bottom of the rim. I then fully inflated using a track pump.
You can check the bead is seated properly by viewing the reflective rim on the side of the tyre - it should sit the same distance from the rim all the way around the wheel.

R

r1_exup

Schwalbe Marathon popping off Boardman Rim

Yoffy,
I already tried exactly what you described- Going round the tyre and banging it down and then checking the distance from the rim to he reflective strip. I used a track pump and watched the pressure closely.
All looked well, but unfortunately it did not work and the tyre still popped off the rim and eventually burst the inner tube.
I am wondering if the tyre is defective and the inner diameter of the bead is too big i.e. greater than 622. Are you certain all is okay? - have you ridden for any distance? I thought the whole arrangement looked quite dangerous - if the tyre popped whist being ridden hard, then a potential serious get-off could result.
I have posted a query with Schwalbe.

LondonCommuter

I've loaded up the slime tape on one wheel only (front where I had 2 punctures in a week a few weeks ago). It seemed like it was going to be really tricky to get it right but I followed the instructions and it worked just fine. Haven't ridden it yet though, so fingers crossed ...

TechMech

I must say thanks to those of you who suggested the Schwalbe Marathon tyres. After a blowout on the front this morning (just 100m after setting off), I went straight to the shops and bought two tyres (35c) and innertubes.

Went out for a ride this afternoon and what a difference they make! Coming from a mountain bike the Detonaters felt like the soild wheels I had on my first bike when I was a kid.

I think they still roll as good as the originals, but with the added punchure protection and comfort they are fantastic.

Btw, got mine to fit on no problem. I just put a wee bit of air in to inflate the tubes and then pressed the tyre in all the way round. Then added a bit more to maybe 25-30ish psi and checked the seating was ok all round, and then fired them right up to 75-80ish psi.

R

r1_exup

Update

Halfords replaced the Schwalbe Marathon 32Cs (blowing off the rim) with Marathon 28Cs and I have fitted them. I have done about 150 miles and they seem to be excellent. I thought they would be slower than the OEM Maxxis Detonators, but they don't seem to be.
I can only assume the original Marathon 32C was 'faulty' or incompatible with the rims ??.

The Boardman Hybrid Team 08 is an excellent bike. I have since bought a Carrera Fury 08, assumng it is just as good. Still to put it through its paces.

LondonCommuter

I tried 28 M+s and they seemed too big for the rims so I gave up. I have since fitted the 28s to my Dawes super galaxy (which comes with 35s) and am very happy with this combination; fitting them wasn't too traumatic but I did need tyre levers to get them on which seems to be a no-no according to any instructions

E.T.

I fitted Continental Top contacts. They are light, long wearing and guranteed against punctures...free replacement if you get a flat.

Low weight and low rolling resistance.