Boardman Hybrid Pro - freehub removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks like I've had water ingress into the bearings channel on the freehub body side of the rear wheel. Stripped it down last night and I can feel some scoring in the channel itself and the bearings are a little pitted. The channel on the non drive side is still as smooth as a babys backside and the bearings all look like new.

I had a look at removing the freehub but none of the allen keys I had were big enough - by a significant margin. Has anyone replaced one of these? If so - how do you remove them? Is it just one big allen key or am I missing something?

And if you can help me with that - has anyone any idea how much new bearings and a freehub body will cost and recommendations on where to get them from?

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Doing some research on this - apparently some of the Formula Disk hub body's have can be removed by using a tool inserted into the splines!! Certainly a standard 10mm allen key won't do the job. It doesn't even come close to fitting.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I have had a look round (http://www.lfgss.com/thread27786.html)

The freehub is usually held on with a large bolt - it may be a 12mm hex bolt. However taking the freehub off is not going to help you - unless you want to grease the pawls.

Have a good look at the races for pitting by cleaning the grease away and looking through a magnifying glass - if the races in the hub and on the cones are ok just replace the bearings. If not then it's a new hub and the important thing is to get one which will allow you to use the same spokes - otherwise you might as well get a new wheel.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
I have had a look round (http://www.lfgss.com/thread27786.html)

The freehub is usually held on with a large bolt - it may be a 12mm hex bolt. However taking the freehub off is not going to help you - unless you want to grease the pawls.

Have a good look at the races for pitting by cleaning the grease away and looking through a magnifying glass - if the races in the hub and on the cones are ok just replace the bearings. If not then it's a new hub and the important thing is to get one which will allow you to use the same spokes - otherwise you might as well get a new wheel.
I've already felt around the races. There's "lumps" (for want of a better word) of rust present that has caused the bearings to pit as well. I'm sure it's these "lumps" that are causing the catching of the bearings and the clicking noise I'm hearing even when freewheeling.

Top Bottom