Boardman Hybrid + Rack ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

I'm thinking about getting a Baordman Hybrid for commuting to work (after my old mountain bike got pinched last week :o).

Can anyone tell me if I can fit a rear pannier rack to it?
After looking at one in Halfords, it seems to me the rear disc brake would prevent fixing the struts to the frame.

Thanks.

Norm

Hey, Sluice

Skip the Boardman and head over to Stows on the Dedworth Road to have a word with Sam. ;)

According to the reviews, the Boardman do have rack mounts but according to this page on the Ask Halfords site, they say you could only use a beam rack. Topeak do a number of beam racks (the top 9 racks on their site are all beam racks) which should work, depending on how much seat post you have showing.

OP
OP
Sluicehoops
Thanks for the info Norm.

Am I right in thinking a beam rack is only connected to the bike at the seat post?
That doesn't seem very strong to me.

Is that Stows the same as the Stows in Slough High St?

Cheers.

Norm

Yes, it just attaches to the seat post. They aren't good enough to go away for weeks on end but one of these, for instance, will hold 9kgs / 20lbs. The compatible bags (like this) lock in place very securely, I have one on my list of "things I'll buy to celebrate getting a new job".

Both of those Stows are part of the same group, but I haven't been into the one in Slough. I've been using that one in Dedworth since I was about 10 (35 years ago!) although it was Jones The Bike back then.

TechMech

Topeak also do a disc brake specific version of their Super Tourist DX rack

See here

I've got one of these on my second hybrid, but can't see why it wouldn't fit on my boardman hybrid.

sayek1

I've got a Boardman hybrid and have a Topeak rack for Disc Brakes - very common & also excellent. All decent shops sell them - also internet - Wiggle & Evans

I have also used a rack that just attaches to the seat-post - I would avoid this at all costs. You might as well tie your posessions round your john thomas with a bit of string and drag them along for all the use/pain it was.

Boardman is very good - have only had a cheapo hybrid before and this is miles better. Only bad point is that the disc brakes are vicious - however, you do get used to them and they are better than the shite that I had before - may as well have thrown an anchor out for all the good they were.

Armegatron

Resurecting the thread via search.
Ive just ordered the Topeak Super Tourist for my Scott with Disc brakes. I was going to buy the Tortec Apex from Evans @ £18 but found Halfords have a buy one get one half price on bike accessories. Bit cheeky as I bought a Brooks saddle last week which had a fault, and I explained to the lad in Halfords that if I dont hear back from him Ill have to order another and return the faulty one when I get the new one...
So new Brooks Flyer & Topeak rack for £73.48 :smile:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...toreId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_753241

I had been using the V type quick release rack, which is great because I can quickly remove it for weekend rides, and reattach for commutes. However Im wanting to try my hand at touring so needed something with a higher load capacity than 9kg's.
http://www.topeak.com/products/Racks/MTXBeamRackV-Type

battered

Guru
Seat post rack not strong enough? If my seatpost will put up with my 11.5 stone arse bouncing up and down on it down a rocky track then a 9kg bag is kids' stuff.

Armegatron

battered said:
Seat post rack not strong enough? If my seatpost will put up with my 11.5 stone arse bouncing up and down on it down a rocky track then a 9kg bag is kids' stuff.

:smile: Im just a touch under 13 stone :rofl:

Just figured by the time Ive packed the tent, sleeping bags etc Id probably be wieghing in at over 10kg and dont fancy chancing it.

I had the Topeak rack on my disc brake MTB and used the Topeak trunk bag as well, now i've got a touring bike i put the Topeak rack on it as i already had the bag which is ideal for long day rides

IMG_0689.jpg

And its fine if you want to use proper panniers as well

IMG_0820.jpg

Simon

Top Bottom