Boardman Or Carrera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Be careful on halfords sizing as they list bikes by real seat tube. A 51 is more like a 54 top tube and the 54 is a 56 if I remember rightly on Carrera s.
Boardman sizing
Small is 54,med is 55.5 large is 57 again from memory.

Nope it's a 'mens' bike. I'm 5'10...not 5'7 unlike some ;)

But it's possible that their CX 'sizing' from 2014 is different to current roadbikes

Both my Boardman Roadies are Medium / 53cm and I'm 5'9. I can't believe I just went downstairs to measure the TTs for this - they're both 55cm. :okay:

I think you'll find that Boardman quote the correct measurement for frame size - it's everyone else who does it wrong...;)

OP
OP
G

Gavman

Regular
Just thought I'd give you all an update...i took all and advice and went with the boardman! Picked it up today and my God thank you all! Had a quick burst on it and it is a beautiful ride. Halfords did a half decent job on the build and only had to tweak a few bits here and there. All in all it feels good to ride I had to go for the 55.5cm rather than the 57.5cm but it still feels good.

Once again thanks for the advice guys!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just thought I'd give you all an update...i took all and advice and went with the boardman! Picked it up today and my God thank you all! Had a quick burst on it and it is a beautiful ride. Halfords did a half decent job on the build and only had to tweak a few bits here and there. All in all it feels good to ride I had to go for the 55.5cm rather than the 57.5cm but it still feels good.

Once again thanks for the advice guys!
We are all waiting for piccies!

OP
OP
G

Gavman

Regular
Sorry for the delay but I had to get a decent pic! Here she is!

Once again thanks everyone!!!!

Attachments

• 20170913_210030.jpg
    20170913_210030.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 185
If you find it starts creaking when climbing out the saddle the bottom bracket will probably be too tight as it will have been shoved on with no care for proper torque.

Had to get mine removed and retorqured by the bike shop. It took two of them to get it to shift!

OP
OP
G

Gavman

Regular
I've only had two issues so far the first being the chain coming off when shifting to the higher ring which I've managed to sort out by adjusting the limit screw. The other which I can't get my head around is that the front shifter clicks once on the way down but doesn't move much then it feels very tight to eventually get it moving to the lower ring. Any ideas guys?

Duffy

Über Member
Nice looking bike!

Having built both during a very short tenure with Halfords, the Boardman's are the much better buy.

Well done!

vickster

Legendary Member
I've only had two issues so far the first being the chain coming off when shifting to the higher ring which I've managed to sort out by adjusting the limit screw. The other which I can't get my head around is that the front shifter clicks once on the way down but doesn't move much then it feels very tight to eventually get it moving to the lower ring. Any ideas guys?
A guess as I'm a Sram user, but is it due to trim? Take back to Halfords, see if needs adjusting

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Once you've set the high/low limits the rest is down to the cable tension which can be done with the clamp bolt or barrel adjuster.

I know everyone slags off the Carerra range/Halfwords but I've had a Carrera subway hybrid which I had no issues with at all, just a bit heavy lol. The service from the shop was fine too. A good pal of mine has just gifted me a Carerra TDF roadie and I love it, not showroom condition but everything works as it should. I think it's more the fact that that the Carerra/Halfords issue is inconsistency of product and services ranging from excellent to utter crap. Troops, beggars can't be choosers, cheaper bikes makes cycling more accessable, just a thought.

Top Bottom