Boardman Or Carrera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamhearn

Veteran
Tyres are already 25c but it's possible that a 28c may fit (or equally so it may be that 25c is the maximum). Only an owner [or possibly Halfords if you're lucky] will know for sure.

Halfords will never be able to provide the best purchasing experience. Unless they've changed their policy the best you'll get out of them before paying is a stand over and sit on whilst in the shop - when I asked about testing a Boardman Comp they said they could not support such a request. Thus, you'll have to disregard "fun" from the list of concerns as you'll not be able to gauge if it is even if you could measure it :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looking at the pictures on the Halfords site of the Comp it certainly looks like bigger section tyres would fit, probably bigger than 28. The fork and rear stays look like they have plenty of clearance. Get down to the shop and have a look.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The "Welds" on a Boardman are actually 'filled' in - shot blast it and you'll see normal welds. I have one, and I like the smooth look.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Depends on your size too, for some reason Carrera only go up to 54cm whilst Boardman add on 57.5cm as well.

Personally, I have a (slightly older) Carrera and it has been an almost bombproof bike, other than consumables like tyres, brake pads, chains and rear cassette the only thing I have replaced is the rear wheel in well over 30k miles. It gets totally abused, pulling trailers, riding down poorly surfaced trails, next to no maintenance, never cleaned, parked at work outside in the rain and yet still trundles along without any complaints.

If I was buying now I would probably buy the Boardman only to get the bigger frame size, but Carrera are still solid bikes for the money.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Depends on your size too, for some reason Carrera only go up to 54cm whilst Boardman add on 57.5cm as well.

Personally, I have a (slightly older) Carrera and it has been an almost bombproof bike, other than consumables like tyres, brake pads, chains and rear cassette the only thing I have replaced is the rear wheel in well over 30k miles. It gets totally abused, pulling trailers, riding down poorly surfaced trails, next to no maintenance, never cleaned, parked at work outside in the rain and yet still trundles along without any complaints.

If I was buying now I would probably buy the Boardman only to get the bigger frame size, but Carrera are still solid bikes for the money.
Be careful on halfords sizing as they list bikes by real seat tube. A 51 is more like a 54 top tube and the 54 is a 56 if I remember rightly on Carrera s.
Boardman sizing
Small is 54,med is 55.5 large is 57 again from memory.

vickster

Legendary Member
Be careful on halfords sizing as they list bikes by real seat tube. A 51 is more like a 54 top tube and the 54 is a 56 if I remember rightly on Carrera s.
Boardman sizing
Small is 54,med is 55.5 large is 57 again from memory.
My medium Boardman CX is labelled as a 53, with a 54.5-55cm TT

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes mine is the older Red version. If I'd hung on for a year I might have got the carbon forks version. But I got an excellent deal.
It would have been a better deal if I'd taken and used my BC card.:blush:
Pity we can't use BC card with c2w :sad: I'm still happy with mine ,plan to ride it again soon as I'm still on ramp up from injury,only been commuting last few weeks as shoulder really hurt after the social ride and it shouldn't at that pace

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok, I can only go by road measurements and did you have a pinkified version as some brands make ladies versions with shorter TT ?
Nope it's a 'mens' bike. I'm 5'10...not 5'7 unlike some ;)

But it's possible that their CX 'sizing' from 2014 is different to current roadbikes

Top Bottom