Boardman Team Carbon and Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grimgor

After a lot of searching and comparing bikes, I finally upgraded by GT Hybrid to a Boardman Team Carbon Road bike.

I was in a lucky position to be able to apply multiple discounts to my purchase, thus reducing the £999 price tag to £612.
This obviously meant that when I was comparing bikes, I was looking at the £600 to £650 price bracket.

There were a lot of models available at that price point, but realistically the Boardman was a no brainer.

Now getting on the buying experience from Halfords.

I did the normal review search on the internet and could only find negative comments about the Halfords experience and the bb30 bracket failing.

Pre-purchase and whilst I was waiting for my vouchers to arrive, I visited my local Halfords.
The sales assistant was very helpful allowing me to try a couple of frame sizes and pedal combinations.
He was very knowledgeable and confident in the products that he was selling. He gave me non-biased advice on the bikes available to me.
He also discussed the maintenance and of any known problems that he has experienced with the models.

I ordered the bike and pedals on-line, thus giving me the additional 10% off - (happy days).
I received a phone call from the sales guy and arranged a date for the bike to be ready for me to collect. He agreed to check all the torque settings and re-grease the barrings that have been reported to fail.

When I picked the bike up, I was assisted with the basic bike fit. This got me going straight away.

Later that week I went into my local bike shop for a confirmation fit and general bike fit. The guy could not fault the quality and set up of the bike.

Now on to the bike....

It's a 2014 Boardman Team Carbon Road Bike.
The general colours are black, yellow and white.

The frame is made of Carbon, a smooth finish and well made, showing no imperfections. The graphics lacquered over and are not raised against the frame.
The accessories cables are either integrated thorough the frame or well positioned, so that they don't get in the way when carrying the bike.

The forks are of the same finish and run nice and flush to the head tube.

The wheels are Maviks. The reviews that I had read lead me to believe that they are of a heavy construction and are basically are aimed at cost saving. Reviews are that they should be changed for better performance.
My personal opinion is that they perfectly fine and do the job well. I feel confident that they are up to the job and will only need to upgrade when they wear and need changing. The tyres are continental Ultra Sport II and seem to do the job, I can not say too much about them at the moment.

The brakes are made by a company called Tektro and are model number R540.
The braking could be better, especially I'm the wet and I'm am looking to change the pads for better performance.
The other reviews do suggest that an upgrade is needed, so as safety is paramount this might be necessary sooner than later. As the chain set is a mixed Shimano, I'll probably go for the 105 of Ultralegra.

The chain set is of a mix of 105 rear de-railer and tiagra STI levers, tiagr front de-railer and 105 chain.
The action and smoothness is good. The gears are selected with ease and are good enough for my needs.
I will be changing the front de-railer for a 105 model just for consistency. The STI's do not look as tidy as the 105's as 2 if the cables run visibly to the steam and not under the grip tape, however it's not unsightly. The actions of the levers are direct and do not feel sloppy. I feel that they may be up for the job, even in a couple of years of use.
A nice little feature is the gear position indicator, ideal for a quick check. No doubt when I get used to the bike, these will become redundant.

The finishing kit is the E4P range. All of good quality and the only downside is that the bar tape is white.... I believe that it not too expensive to change to black... At least it won't look as dirty!

Pedals are Shimano PD-A 530 touring flat /SPD.
I choose this style because I travel in London and along country lanes. This gives me flexibility as I still want comfortable control, but I don't always want to be locked locked in. At the start, it took a little time for me to get used to making sure the correct side was up. But I am now used to making sure the correct side is available for my use and I don't have to think about it... Second nature.

The ride of the bike is of what I expect from a road bike. I've come from a Hybrid and obviously the it rides differently.... This is Harder, quicker and more nimble.... For what I need, I'm defiantly happy with this style, material and quality.

Overall the Halford and Boardman experience is 100%...
I would recommend to anybody who is looking for a new road bike, to have a look and possibly consider a purchase.

Note: I do not own, work or have any interests in Halfords or Boardman cycles.

Below is the Spec Sheet.

• SpecificationContinental Ultra Sport II 700c x 25c
      • Approximate Weight (KG): 8.6
      • Exact Frame Size:
      • Forks: Full Uni-directional Carbon Fibre - Tapered Steerer
      • Frame Material: Carbon
      • Front Brake: Tektro R540 Dual Pivot Calliper Brake
      • Geometry: Boardman Road Semi Compact - Sportive
      • Number of Gears: 20
      • Rear Brake: Tektro R540 Dual Pivot Calliper
      • Wheel Size: 700c
      Detailed Specs
      • Brake Type:
      • Cassette: Shimano Tiagra - 12-28t
      • Chainset: FSA Gossamer Compact 50/34t
      • Frame Colour: Black
      • Front Mech: Shimano Tiagra - 2 Speed
      • Gear Shifters: Shimano Tiagra STI
      • Handle Bars: Boardman E4P - 400mm(S) 420mm(M) 440mm(L,XL) - 31.8mm
      • Headset: FSA Orbit C-40 ACB/Industrial 1.1/8" to 1.1/2" Tapered - Integrated
      • Hubs:
      • Pedals:
      • Rear Mech: Shimano 105 - 10 Speed
      • Rims: Mavic CXP-22S - 28/32 Hole
      • Saddle: Boardman E4P - Chromoly Rails
      • Seatpost: Boardman E4P - 31.6mm - 350mm with offset
      • Stem: Boardman E4P - 100mm(S) 110mm(M) 120mm(L) 130mm(XL) - 31.8 with +/-7 degree rise
      • Suspension: Rigid
      • Type: Road Bikes
      • Tyres: Continental Ultra Sport II 700c x 25c

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A couple of thoughts;
  • Changing the front mech won't make any difference
  • Changing the pads will; I use Clarks CPS240 Gold with Tektro brakes, others use Swisstop or similar.

yello

A very comprehensive write up of both the Boardman and Halfords. Thank you for taking the time to post it and I am sure it will be of great use to others.

It's pleasing to read a good report of Halfords too, lord knows they get enough negative comments!

I agree with DCLane re brakes; an investment in new pads (I use Koolstop but there are other good ones available) will transform your braking and confidence in stopping.

Big Nick

And on the flip side my daughter and her husband bought two Boardman mtb's from Halfords last week, one of them the £1600 carbon framed hardtail

One has gears that don't look as though they've been set up at all with it skipping and jumping all over the place whilst the other had one pedal fall off (when the bike was towing a child seat trailer) the first times they were used.

Totally put me off ever trusting their bike mech abilities when I saw the till operator simultaneously trying to serve at the till, answer the phone, work on the shop floor and work on a kids bike behind the till.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Sounds like you have a decent branch of Halfords @Grimgor Ours is hopeless, especially now the lad who was helpful and knew his way around a bike has left.
When Hubster bought his bike, the handlebars were not done up properly and moved as soon as he put any weight through them. The forks were on the right way round though.

OP
OP
G

Grimgor

I got my bike from the branch my son worked at (until 2 weeks ago, then he got a full time job as a BMW tech.... Very proud as he only left college 4 weeks ago) Anyway --- they might have gone the extra mile for that reason... I do not know!
However to my sons knowledge he hasn't known in the past any return customers with problems...

Unfortunatly you can get bad bike assemblies anywhere, I bought my GT hybrid from Evans about 3 years ago and had trouble with the initial setup and then again after picking up from the 6 week service.... Never went back there for my regular 6 month check..

Luck of the draw I suppose.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I tried to get one on the cycle to work scheme back in early June, only to be told there were no small frame sizes available any more. Shame really as I quite fancied one. Glad your experience has been a good one @Grimgor , enjoy!

mustang1

Legendary Member
Hi grimgor, a great write up and like the others said, thanks for taking the time to post.

I see you're in Essex. Which branch if halfords did you use. I think it might be worth having a database of good versus poor halfords mechanics.

Dark46

Veteran
Hi Grimgor, great write up I'm glad you are happy with the Boardman. I've got a Boardman Hybrid and as much as I love the bike and the Halfords experience to start with . The problems started when I tried booking in for a service . First I booked in and all was ok, then when I took it in it was " sorry we don't do services at weekends " and this was Fridsy night as I was dropping the bike off! The next time they had no record of the service being booked. The third time I had to take the bike back as I couldn't get all the gears! I hope your experience is better than mine all together .

Top Bottom