Boardman Team Carbon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I know I'll have to ride it, was just seeing if the froth is really true.

I'm also reading about issues with the spokes, but what I have read so far was when they were new. Has this issue been sorted since??

Thanks.

Carbon

Veteran
Never had an issue with the wheels, there was lots of press about spoke issues when the bikes were first released but not much since so I think the issue was sorted, in any case it was simply an issue with spokes not being correctly tightened at the factory.

Also be careful on the sizing, I got the medium which is shown as a 53cm frame but this is the same size as a Trek 56cm which I also looked at, don't be tempted into a larger size just based on the quoted sizes, I'm 5' 11" and the medium is spot on. Make sure you find a store with a couple in stock so you can try them out for size. Even if they aren't in stock for sale they normally have new customer bikes coming through all the time and are happy for you to try them for size.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yeah, I'm 5'10, but with big long legs, so I am aware of getting the size right.

Anyway, the Carbon is just one of a few I'm looking at.

10/10 for the Carbon, - just to make sure I'm barking up the right tree here, what other bikes in this price range are on a par with it??

I mean, obviously there isn't one model that's the best, full stop, there are a lot of grey areas in it all.

I must admit that after reading the Wind tunnel article, I'm vaguely tempted by the Felt S22, but it has those daft big TT handlebar thingies, which would just look silly, and anyway, I doubt I'd be going fast enough to do it justice! :evil::laugh:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I also have to point out that I'd rather get a UK bike.
Not because I'm a raving nationalist or anything, but I feel as though I should support British Industry instead of getting something from elsewhere.
Especially in this recession riddled time.

It's why I originally started looking at Pashley and, well, I'd happily buy a Guv'nor for a bit of fun and for when I have to look dapper in a retro way, but, annnyway, moving swiftly on.

l4dva

Guru
I'm about to take delivery of a Team Carbon soon as well, so I'm keen to hear what people think of it as well.

I had a short test ride on one in the car park, not ideal but it was all I could get. Fitting was spot on, and seen as there has been a lot of 'hype' and my insurance company who are paying for it insist that i use halfords ive kind of not got a choice in the mater.

But I am really excited about getting mine, it looks brilliant, weighs virtually nothing, ride really well (although ive not tested it as much as I like). I was told only a boardmans certified mechanic will assemble the bike in halfords, who im my local halfords is a spotty teenager. So I'll still be taking it straight to a LBS for a proper set up.

From the 2 times ive been in halfords to see the bike ive just gotten more and more frustrated with them.... why on earth would boardmans want to involve themselve with such a sh*t business.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Tell me what it's like as I still have other options.

I'll have to get over to my nearest ****ords where they have them and see one myself as I'm getting curiouser and curiouser about them for various different reasons.

Kablinsky

I've had my Team carbon for about 2 months now. I was very hesitant about buying one but the great online review convinced me to give it a try. I had some money left in my budget so I upgraded the wheels to Shimano RS80s and sold the ones that came with the bike so actual money spent was £1,230. The result is amazing, culminating in me knocking nearly 1 minute off my previous best 25mile time (set on my 2008 Trek Madone 5.2. A bike costing £1k more).

IT has quite a racey feel to it with a fairly low riding position. This suits me perfectly. I got the medium frame. I'm 5' 8" with relatively short legs but the small frame just felt too cramped.

I must have been lucky as the Bike Hut mechanic at the Southend Halfords did a great job on the setup and made the neccessary adjustments to the gears after I'd upgraded the wheels.

All in all I can't fault it for the price.

adscrim

Veteran
rsvdaz said:
are there any links to online reviews?

Bikeradar review here. Not sure if anything except the price has changed between this and the current model.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I doubt the problem with gearing above about 35mph will be a problem to me for the time being! ;)

Oh dear oh dear oh dear, I am starting to get a shortlist of bikes here and it looks like I'll really have a hard choice to make!!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I went to the H*lfords at Braehead (Renfrew, Glasgow) where they sell the Boardmans' on Wednesday and saw the Team Carbon for real.
I know that others have said that they don't look great, but I thought that it was quite a handsome beast, I must admit!

Unfortunately, the only one they had was too small for me, and they didn't let me have a test ride, which was a bit sh*t.

Anyway, I then went to the Evans nearby and they suggested I get a Canondale Super Six instead!

Yeah right, a Super Six is only, what? £1600 more!

Now, the Six (2010 version), that's different as it's only about £700 more than the Boardman.

I was offered a test ride on any of the bikes*, but I was with a group of others, so didn't have the time unfortunately. I'll certainly be back though.

I'll tell you something else, they have/had a Pashley Guv'nor on the wall, so I was certainly admiring that at the same time!!

Now, where's the chequebook? I want that Guv'nor!!

* - Actually, the woman who served me started asking me about what I knew about the different kinds of gears and so on, and I suddenly felt VERY out of my depth, so, feeling rather foolish, I escaped at the first opportunity.
I wish I hadn't now.

smoke

Anyone have any views regarding Boardman v Planetx pretty much same price and spec as far as i can see. Been on Planetx site and seen there doing one with Sram red for £1500 that sounds a good deal to me.

Top Bottom