Bobby Julich 'fesses up and is released by Sky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hont

Guru
Hardly a surprise that he doped, since he made the TdF podium in that era. Disappointed with Sky's approach. You don't have to have raced clean to be anti-doping.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/exclusive-bobby-julich-doping-confession
here's the link. It does seem that Sky are shooting themselves in the foot a little but I guess they have to get through the purge. The school of general public opinion in the UK would allow nothing less.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Hardly a surprise that he doped, since he made the TdF podium in that era. Disappointed with Sky's approach. You don't have to have raced clean to be anti-doping.
Yeah you do. If you want to have a shred of credibility you need to have at least admitted to it publicly and taken the rap for it if you want to be on the side of the angels afterwards.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yeah you do. If you want to have a shred of credibility you need to have at least admitted to it publicly and taken the rap for it if you want to be on the side of the angels afterwards.

The most credible voices in the pro-cycling game on this are Miller and Vaughters - i.e the Garmin team approach. I am totally for people confessing and telling the truth, and thereafter they should be given the opportunity for rehabilitation and to use their experiences for the good. It's the people who continue to lie, cover up and corrupt the sport in order to do so who are the problem now - i.e. Armstrong, Bruyneel, McQuaid, Verbruggen et al. Sky's approach is too fundamentalist for my liking.

festival

Über Member
So another "good guy" fess's up and losses his job. He and all the other cheats that have confessed feel the landscape has moved and they feel in a tight spot about their past.
Well it wasn't long ago they where in another tight spot when their jobs were on the line and gave in to PED's frankly they don't deserve our trust and we are better off without them.
The Garmin approach is fine if you can make it work in a team situation but there will always be others capable to fill all the roles in our sport, better to sweep it clean.
It may be a shame some of these "good guys" need to be gone as the main problem to a bright future is those at the UCI and those still living a lie eg Samuel Sancez, Valverde etc.

DogTired

Über Member
The most credible voices in the pro-cycling game on this are Miller and Vaughters - i.e the Garmin team approach. I am totally for people confessing and telling the truth, and thereafter they should be given the opportunity for rehabilitation and to use their experiences for the good. It's the people who continue to lie, cover up and corrupt the sport in order to do so who are the problem now - i.e. Armstrong, Bruyneel, McQuaid, Verbruggen et al. Sky's approach is too fundamentalist for my liking.

There was a short clip of Dave Brailsford on the BBC web-site (I can't find it now...) and he comes over as quite passionate and with a definite opinion with regard to not tolerating doping, with longer bans and stricter punishments for doping offences so I guess a lot of Sky's approach is due to this.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20072758

"My view isn't draconian," Brailsford told BBC Sport. "We've decided to sit down and talk to every single member of staff.
"People will be given an opportunity - if they represent a risk to the team going forward - to talk about it, to see if we can reconcile that and support people. It's actually been a very constructive process."

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There was a short clip of Dave Brailsford on the BBC web-site (I can't find it now...) and he comes over as quite passionate and with a definite opinion with regard to not tolerating doping, with longer bans and stricter punishments for doping offences so I guess a lot of Sky's approach is due to this.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20072758

"My view isn't draconian," Brailsford told BBC Sport. "We've decided to sit down and talk to every single member of staff.
"People will be given an opportunity - if they represent a risk to the team going forward - to talk about it, to see if we can reconcile that and support people. It's actually been a very constructive process."
Did Bobby Julich represent a risk going forward then?

mrbadexample

I and those still living a lie eg Samuel Sancez, .

Have I missed something? What's Sammy Sanchez done? :scratch:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
So is Yates going to survive the cull? Or Mick Rogers?
If they ditch Rogers it is sheer lunacy, as it's been in the public domain for years that he saw Ferrari and Sky's due diligence pose will be shown to be a shambles. The same goes for Yates I suppose, as his +ve test was also well known and I see no reason for him to fess up to over-seeing systematic doping unless he thinks Bruyneel or someone may expose him.

thom

____
So is Yates going to survive the cull? Or Mick Rogers?
If they ditch Rogers it is sheer lunacy, as it's been in the public domain for years that he saw Ferrari and Sky's due diligence pose will be shown to be a shambles. The same goes for Yates I suppose, as his +ve test was also well known and I see no reason for him to fess up to over-seeing systematic doping unless he thinks Bruyneel or someone may expose him.
I think there are more to go.
The pictures of Yates with motorman are pretty embarassing in my opinion.
Rogers relationship to Michele Alfa-Romeo looks to be similar to that of Cadel Evans. Since Evans is perceived to be clean, it's probably unfair to presume Rogers got up to anything underhand. It's right that he has to answer questions about it though and given the way he rides, I hope he comes through the process still in Sky.
One of the things about the Sky project I like is that you get non-UK riders really wanting to be part of it because they see how professional it is. It is to Sky's great credit that Eisel wants to remain there now and that really strong riders like Porte, Rogers and EBH are keen to be team players in something with such a strong GB identity. I hope they get their fair share of chances too.

tigger

Über Member
There is the pragmatic (Garmin) and the zero tolerance approach (Sky). Neither is necessarily wrong. I applaud Sky's stance personally. Yes doping may have been endemic, yes it may have seemed acceptable, maybe people were coerced and felt there was no other way etc etc. But whatever the situation the athlete has to be responsible for the choice they made. If they doped, they cheated. They knew they were cheating. Is that person ultimately trustworthy as an employee? I'm not just talking about drugs, but more broadly can you trust a cheat?

In my view, if we really want to counter cheating then there should be a zero tolerance policy. No ifs no buts. You're out. Thats a much stronger deterent than the current multi chance system.

Top Bottom