FNRttC Bognor, Friday, April 27, 2018

Do you want to do this ride?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
After the cleaning, did a gear clearout...
For the bin:
Shimano MW80s. Alas poor shoes, I knew you well. Practically new, only got them (I think) in September 2011! They were done for anyway, the neoprene cuff on the left is heavily torn and coming away from the rest of the shoe, and inner foam was visible round the back of the heel so my foot would have got rather wet in a downpour. They have done many many miles, many nights out & many days at work, so no complaints. Got a pair of the current MW7s in the Wiggle sale last year, now ready to go with cleats installed. Very comfy and they should be even more weather resistant.
Aldi or Lidl mitts. Again, they were dead anyway, already bought two pairs in Aldi a few months back.
For bike washing/DIY/whatever: DHB EQ 2.5 jacket, 2011 vintage. Heavily faded, no longer waterproof, a couple of holes in the back pocket…like the shoes, it has served me very well for many rides. Replaced by an identical one, bought for nearly half price in 2015 when they were EOL and mothballed until now. This one's black! :smile:
For recycling: An emptied bottle of degreaser :smile:

rb58

Enigma
After the cleaning, did a gear clearout...
For the bin:
Shimano MW80s. Alas poor shoes, I knew you well. Practically new, only got them (I think) in September 2011! They were done for anyway, the neoprene cuff on the left is heavily torn and coming away from the rest of the shoe, and inner foam was visible round the back of the heel so my foot would have got rather wet in a downpour. They have done many many miles, many nights out & many days at work, so no complaints. Got a pair of the current MW7s in the Wiggle sale last year, now ready to go with cleats installed. Very comfy and they should be even more weather resistant.
Aldi or Lidl mitts. Again, they were dead anyway, already bought two pairs in Aldi a few months back.
For bike washing/DIY/whatever: DHB EQ 2.5 jacket, 2011 vintage. Heavily faded, no longer waterproof, a couple of holes in the back pocket…like the shoes, it has served me very well for many rides. Replaced by an identical one, bought for nearly half price in 2015 when they were EOL and mothballed until now. This one's black! :smile:
For recycling: An emptied bottle of degreaser? :smile:
Can you come round and do mine please Stu I daren't open the shed door......

Arthur Scrimshaw

Well only my second Fnrttc and definitely the dampest so far. The scout hut didn’t arrive a minute too soon and the tea and grub were just the job to revive my chilled old bones and I was dragging my feet when it came to leaving. But by then the rain had all but gone and I was pretty dry apart from my feet which were cold and wet throughout the rest of the ride although soon forgotten once moving again. Though we were wet everyone seemed in good spirits even during the inevitable waits while bikes were being sorted, I was lucky and all I had to do was hop around trying to keep some body warmth so thanks to those who put themselves in punctures way on our behalf.
The off road bit was a bit challenging in that I wasn’t expecting to have to lift my fairly weighty bike over quite so many gates but it was all a bit of a laugh even when scouring around trying to find a suitably resilient stick to de clag my cleats.
The final run to the cafe was rapid, I managed to jump on the wheel of a speedy Canyon rider (sorry I’m crap at names) who towed me to the cafe, I’m only sorry I didn’t have the energy to do my turn at the front.
The cafe was up to usual standards, I’m a local but hadn’t been there for a while and the service and food was good seeing how busy they were?
Anyway thanks again to Martin and the rest of the crew for a great night out.

Last edited:

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
So there are rumours of a return match in October. A dry month. Maybe an Enterprising Leader, with knowledge of outward boundy groups, could talk to the local Scouts or Guides (Go to Settings to set your Preference), a pair stationed at each stile to lift, a handful more on the bridge with buckets of water and suitable brushes. Well worth a bob each.

Apologies for lengthy post

Just a note from the earliest bailer.

2 punctures on the Southend ride led me to choose a different bike and I got a new front Kojak tyre for the yellow peril/ banana/ properly Kingcycle for Friday night. I spent early Friday evening pottering up from Streatham Common to the South bank by 6.30 pm where at 7.15 London Critical Mass set off for an enjoyable slow ride of about 2 hours with 150-200 people snaking round central London ending at the Victoria statue in front of Buckingham Palace where the usual Critical Mass impromptu outdoor music/drinking party took place. Cycled back to South Bank National theatre for 11.30 having relaxed for a couple of hours. Punctures so far, after 3 hours mixed cycling round Central London; NIL.

Nice to see familiar faces at the start and setting off just after midnight was fine. All was fine till the bottom of Wallington High St. First visitation; rear wheel; quick release; fitted tube. Fixed with usual wonderful helping hands of fellow riders; for which many thanks. Luckily spent a few minutes repairing the punctured tube. This turned out to be important later. Like 10 minutes later.

Up the Carshalton Inclines to Purley. Apart from my expensive Lezine front light leaving its mounting [pothole induced and recovered] was doing ok until second visitation at Purley. Which became the end of the ride. Just too much for me. Rear wheel; quick release; fitted repaired tube. Again many many thanks to those who put me back on the road. And I saw the red lights leaving with a lot of sadness as I had been looking forward to the scout’s refreshments etc and a full English.

I cycled back along the A23 back through Croydon. Lots of people enjoying fast food from open outlets, lots of drunken shouting/ pushing/ fighting to be seen in South and Central Croydon. Who knew these things happened at 3 am?

Home and bed.

The wet gets in different places when you ride recumbent. Also after reading the description of off road and gate negotiations perhaps it was fate that kindly kept me from those experiences. Recumbents weren’t designed to be carried too high or too far….

Thanks to all who helped and put up with my cursing.

Do hope to see you all on the Maldon ride, although I won’t take very kindly to be called ‘2PB’/ ‘two puncture Bob’ in future simply because of my last two Friday night ride experiences.

StuAff

So there are rumours of a return match in October. A dry month. Maybe an Enterprising Leader, with knowledge of outward boundy groups, could talk to the local Scouts or Guides (Go to Settings to set your Preference), a pair stationed at each stile to lift, a handful more on the bridge with buckets of water and suitable brushes. Well worth a bob each.
Perhaps we could get @ianrauk to run a training session for the cleaners....

Obviously we'd need catering, some comfy chairs…they'd be taking a while.

StuAff

2 punctures on the Southend ride led me to choose a different bike and I got a new front Kojak tyre for the yellow peril/ banana/ properly Kingcycle for Friday night. I spent early Friday evening pottering up from Streatham Common to the South bank by 6.30 pm where at 7.15 London Critical Mass set off for an enjoyable slow ride of about 2 hours with 150-200 people snaking round central London ending at the Victoria statue in front of Buckingham Palace where the usual Critical Mass impromptu outdoor music/drinking party took place. Cycled back to South Bank National theatre for 11.30 having relaxed for a couple of hours. Punctures so far, after 3 hours mixed cycling round Central London; NIL.

Nice to see familiar faces at the start and setting off just after midnight was fine. All was fine till the bottom of Wallington High St. First visitation; rear wheel; quick release; fitted tube. Fixed with usual wonderful helping hands of fellow riders; for which many thanks. Luckily spent a few minutes repairing the punctured tube. This turned out to be important later. Like 10 minutes later.

Up the Carshalton Inclines to Purley. Apart from my expensive Lezine front light leaving its mounting [pothole induced and recovered] was doing ok until second visitation at Purley. Which became the end of the ride. Just too much for me. Rear wheel; quick release; fitted repaired tube. Again many many thanks to those who put me back on the road. And I saw the red lights leaving with a lot of sadness as I had been looking forward to the scout’s refreshments etc and a full English.

I cycled back along the A23 back through Croydon. Lots of people enjoying fast food from open outlets, lots of drunken shouting/ pushing/ fighting to be seen in South and Central Croydon. Who knew these things happened at 3 am?

Home and bed.

The wet gets in different places when you ride recumbent. Also after reading the description of off road and gate negotiations perhaps it was fate that kindly kept me from those experiences. Recumbents weren’t designed to be carried too high or too far….

Do hope to see you all on the Maldon ride, although I won’t take very kindly to be called ‘2PB’/ ‘two puncture Bob’ in future simply because of my last two Friday night ride experiences.
Have no fear on that score, you're a long way from being an FNR Jonah...the odd gentle ribbing, probably...

Also have no fear regarding recumbents on this ride. A trike has been over those gates, on multiple occasions, a few bikes as well…

rb58

Enigma

Home and bed.
Glad to hear you made it home okay Bob.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Home and bed.

Not your night :-(
Wondered where you were when we got to the scouts. Assumed you’d turned for home whilst still in urbania.
Another day!

sagefly

Veteran
So is it easy to split the chain, soak in diesel, other spirits are available, remove pesky English sand and reattach?

Top Bottom