Boiler Kettling - General Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you're draining through the valve at the bottom of the system, you could just disconnect the radiator valve from the pipework, and pour the inhibitor straight in to the pipe rather than faffing with the smaller opening at the top of the radiator.

GuyBoden

Guru
If you're draining through the valve at the bottom of the system, you could just disconnect the radiator valve from the pipework, and pour the inhibitor straight in to the pipe rather than faffing with the smaller opening at the top of the radiator.

Yes, that similar to how I add the inhibitor, I put a hose pipe on the drain valve down stairs, then open the bleeder valve from the highest radiator up stairs, (truthfully I'd usually then drain the whole system). Remove enough water, then close the drain valve on the downstairs rad. Then remove the whole bleed valve from the upstairs rad and pour inhibitor into the rad with a funnel/pipe.

Bleed valve below:

40972_P&$prodImageLarge$.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
A but off topic but just remembered while I was reading this...my son visited 40 homes in one shift, the vast majority with breakdowns due to condensate pipes frozen. I think one of his busiest days in years, no surprise given the temps.

Hicky

Guru
Yep, idiot of a tenant rang me Saturday morning with a frozen condensing pipe.
I asked if she’d read the UU email link I sent her…”yeah seen that and wondered what it was”. Open it and watch the vid my dear. Ring me back if you have any further issues. Ps the boiler was serviced 10 days earlier 🙄

gbb

Legendary Member
Boiler Kettling, just asked my son, gas engineer, classic crud in the heat exchanger, be it scale (unlikely in his opinion, we live in a hard water area abandoned he's rarely seen scale cause that much of a problem).l, ot more likely a dirty system, sludge and debris from rads etc would be a far more likely reason.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Boiler Kettling, just asked my son, gas engineer, classic crud in the heat exchanger, be it scale (unlikely in his opinion, we live in a hard water area abandoned he's rarely seen scale cause that much of a problem).l, ot more likely a dirty system, sludge and debris from rads etc would be a far more likely reason.

Exactly, mine needed a good clean out, and new chemicals - it is a 27 year old boiler.

Top Bottom