Boiling water hurts :'(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
One day my friend decided it was time to dish up the stew and picked up the oven by the handles . For those that don't know a dutch oven is a cast iron pot . He let out an almighty scream as his hands melted to the handles but he managed to put the oven down with out spilling the food :thumbsup:
He spent the rest of the night with his hands in a water butt , the stew was nice though :smile:

I have a forty year old scar on my wrist from when I was trapped underneath a BSA D14/4 Bushman with the engine still running, still in gear and the rear wheel threatening to convert me to a castrati. The only leverage I could get was to use my wrists, I was mindful of the probability of welding my fingers together, on the hot exhaust to lift the bike enough to extract myself.

To this day the smell of barbecues remind me of the incident and of the scene where David Carradine had to lift a bowl of burning coals off a pedestal to gain access to the outside world in Kung Fu

Last edited:

young Ed

Veteran
I have a forty year old scar on my wrist from when I was trapped underneath a BSA D14/4 Bushman with the engine still running, still in gear and the rear wheel threatening to convert me to a castrati. The only leverage I could get was to use my wrists, I was mindful of the probability of welding my fingers together, on the hot exhaust to lift the bike enough to extract myself.

To this day the smell of barbecues remind me of the incident and of the scene where David Carradine had to lift a bowl of burning colas off a pedestal to gain access to the outside world in Kung Fu
Had you crashed it? Now we know you aren't dead how did the poor bike fare? Bet you didn't' think it was a poor bike at the time! More of a bast*** !
Cheers Ed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I ended up with a boiling cup of coffee tipped into my lap 6 months ago, did the full tearing my clothes off & cool water thing straight away, it blistered big style & even when the blister was gone, my skin was very red for a few months, I can still very faintly see the reddened area on my thigh now but there's no discomfort & in a couple more weeks it'll be as new. GWS but don't expect miracle healing.

stuee147

when i was about 12 or 13 i was staying in this old wooden building it was as cold as anything and the only heat was from an old paraffin heater, well i had come in one day put the kettle on and set about getting the heater ready to light. and not concentrating and with the cold concrete floor i hadn't realised i spilt some of the paraffin all over my socks, (my feet where freezing cold and wet already ) so i lit the heater and put my wet feet against it only for my left foot to burst into flames. so i jumped up thinking i need water to put my foot out (which wasn't cold any more lol ) just as i thought that i heard a loud "CLICK" as the old electric kettle came to the boil. without even thinking any further than water i grabbed the kettle pulled the cable out the back and poured it over my burning sock which was still on my burning foot.
i can still remember the 2 or 3 seconds of relief that i had finally managed to put my foot out, and then the sudden realisation as i realised i had just poured boiling water all over my foot and ankle. :blush:
needless to say i ended up almost the whole foot becoming one huge blister and many weeks of hopping round in agony. i don't care what anyone says iv had cuts and broken bones iv even chopped bits off (by accident) but i still think one of the most painful and agonising injury's has to be a burn and the worst type of burn has to be from liquid.

stuee147

I heard that you should put egg whites on burns

i think thats more an old wives tail like put butter on it ect the fat and proteins start to cook with the heat from your burn then they actually seal the heat in causing a worse burn the way i was told was its like cooking a joint of meat if you baste it in fat then leave it to stand it will keep cooking and its the same with an egg have you ever noticed if you cook 2 identical eggs for the same time in the same pan of water you can start eating the first one and the yoke is nice and runny yet buy the time you get to the second one the yoke in that one is almost hard as it keeps cooking after its out of the water.

cling film on the other hand is excellent to put over a burn but you should never wrap it around you should tear off a strip and turn it 90 degrees (so instead of wrapping it around the arm you should lay it along the length ) the reason being is cling film is designed to shrink along its length so causing it to wrap tight around things and aid in holding its self closed so if wrapped around a burnt arm leg or neck (and yes i have seen it done ) its shrinking ability combined with the swelling from the burnt flesh can make a very good tunica. and yes the laddy with it around the neck had gone a funny shade of blue which was soon sorted by a quick snip with the toughcuts lol

Top Bottom