Boiling water hurts :'(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Matt1705

Über Member
Oh, were you camping? Maybe you could have soaked a cloth and laid it over the burn - too late now but useful knowledge for another time.

The sequence Vernon links to agrees with what I was always told, cool the area to stop tissue damage. The clingfilm is used later, once the burning process in the tissues has been halted, to keep out bacteria, that makes sense.
Bit cold and wet for camping in this weather! No, I'm a lorry driver (don't worry, we're not all bad lol)

OP
OP
M

Matt1705

Über Member
On a plus point I won't be cycling for a while so will be able to save a bit more for my new bike ^_^^_^^_^:angry:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did exactly the same thing some years ago and god yes it was extremely painful. However, putting my foot in a bowl of cool water removed all the pain, instantly, and also meant I had no blistering or skin damage. I had to keep the foot in the water for hours and hours, but it worked.

I just don't understand the advice about clingfilm! It was always said that with any burn you must cool it instantly with cool (not cold) still (not running) water. The mechanism behind this makes perfect sense to me, whereas the clingfilm doesn't. Maybe someone who works in medicine can tell us why that advice has changed - if it has?
I don't know about the clingfilm but my unscarred face is more proof that immediate cool water submersion can protect scalding victims - link.

colly

Re member eR
I don't know about the clingfilm but my unscarred face is more proof that immediate cool water submersion can protect scalding victims - link.
Blimey Col. :eek: Nasty.

@Matt1705 Careless bugger !! I hope you heal fast :thumbsup:

My daughter spilt an almost boiling pot noodle on her thigh when she was about 9 or so. Very fortunately my eldest son who was around 14 at the time had the presence of mind to take her jeans off and wrap her leg in a cold wet towel and to keep adding more cold water to it. She did end up with a mahoosive blister but it left no scarring at all.

It just goes to show that Pot Noodles are BAD for you.

young Ed

Veteran
ooops nasty that one god luck on the healing!
a few years ago now i was an absolute idiot:wacko: and jumped on a slightly unsafe 350cc old british matchless motorbike with an exposed exhaust whilst i was wearing swimming trunks as shorts! and i melted loads of skin on that leg and it f*cking hurt and there was lots of tears and obscenities that mustn't be repeated! :cry::cry::cry::cursing::cursing: no particularly clever!
Cheers Ed

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
At the allotment during the summer we have a dutch oven on top of a clay chimenea that we all add a bit of veg , meat and herbs too . I think we have fed about 9 people from it and still had some left over . Anyhow we leave that bubbling away for hours while we get on with our work ( drink beer ) One day my friend decided it was time to dish up the stew and picked up the oven by the handles . For those that don't know a dutch oven is a cast iron pot .
He let out an almighty scream as his hands melted to the handles but he managed to put the oven down with out spilling the food :thumbsup:
He spent the rest of the night with his hands in a water butt , the stew was nice though :smile:

OP
OP
M

Matt1705

Über Member
[quote="Cuchilo, post: 2918312, member: 31431"
He let out an almighty scream as his hands melted to the handles but he managed to put the oven down with out spilling the food :thumbsup::smile:[/quote]
That man needs a medal!!!

Top Bottom