Bolton Ironman Triathlon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rollon

I had a look at this event yesterday as the cycle stage passes through our village.
They had earlier in the day swum 2.2 miles in Pennington Flash and were now on their 3 lap cycle course of 112 miles, finishing with a full 26.2 miles marathon run.
I ended up doing one full lap of 34 miles with them on my Specalised Tricross with Borough tyres. I was pleased to be able to keep up with and pass some in the group that I ended up in, over the undulating route.
The faster guys including the leader passed us on their full carbon tri bikes and disappeared into the distance.
I have never raced, but quickly appreciated the appeal and was really enjoying the experience, until I finished my lap got off my bike and could hardly walk.
I have just returned to running after 3.5 year lay off through bad injury, and after this experience could well see myself looking to take up cycle racing, but maybe just maybe, I have left it a bit late at 65 years of age.
Dave.

crisscross

I saw them racing through Buckshaw.

Seriously impressive stuff.

I was working otherwise I'd have joined them in a heartbeat!

crisscross

I'm not sure any of it is easy after 112 miles! but I know what you mean about Rivington.

We don't do hills but had a ride up to Rivington last summer, it was torturous for me but the children enjoyed the challenge.

Buckshaw was the easy bit, the hardest was from Rivington PO to Spitlers Edge before the long drop to Belmont Village.
Dave.
God I know that road! I ride it most times I go out. Sheep House Lane is not too bad, (apart form the cattle grid), as it's sheltered on both sides, but once you go through the farm and hit that hill it's a killer. You see the 90 degree left at the top and aim for it, but when you go round it the sodding road steepens even more, agh!

3 laps, no thank you. I take my hat off to each and every one of the competitors.

400bhp

Guru
God I know that road! I ride it most times I go out. Sheep House Lane is not too bad, (apart form the cattle grid), as it's sheltered on both sides, but once you go through the farm and hit that hill it's a killer. You see the 90 degree left at the top and aim for it, but when you go round it the sodding road steepens even more, agh!

3 laps, no thank you. I take my hat off to each and every one of the competitors.

Hehe, know it well - one one of my staple runs.

Try doing Anglezarke, then Sheep House-turn right onto Belmont Rd, then 1st left. Go over the top to Turton.

Try doing Anglezarke, then Sheep House-turn right onto Belmont Rd, then 1st left. Go over the top to Turton.
You Sir are evil and most definitely twisted :tongue:

The climb from Belmont bleach works is a right bugger, but then when go straight on at the cross roads you hit the mother of all hills, well you clearly know this you demented fool :tongue:

That is real leg burner of a ride there, might just give it go next Sunday :biggrin:

davefb

Guru

fanastic rides up there,, but when my mate drags me on his 'practice route' , its up from tonge moor up past jumples and past chapeltown.... by which time i am officially dead and need some form of cardio help :smile:..

then across to the black dog (where a pint is definately needed )and round the back of winter hill to rivington.... ( to get a cake....)

bah, last time I had a puncture fairy visit :sad:

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Has anyone who has ridden this route done the Northern Rock Cyclone(107 miles)?
How do they compare?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I did a tri that was somewhere between Olympic and 1/2 Ironman distances on Sunday. I don't even want to think about what it is like to do a full Ironman...

screenman

Legendary Member
I feel that riding on any course that is being used at that time for racing on is extremely bad manners, I am sure most other serious riders would consider the same . It is hard enough job for the organisers to check times, positions, numbers etc. without pretend racers joining in. By all means view the sport, but for the sake of the competitors and the racers stay off the course.

jay clock

Massive member
Rollon, not too late at 65. I did IM Austria 4 weeks back with a 65 year old clubmate. He did no exercise till 59 when he started running and has done triathlons the last 3-4 years. That was his second IM, and he has done a few halves too.

PM me if you want a bit of advice on whether you are likely to be up to it. TO be honest for most people the mental bit is as tough as the physical. I nver thought I could swim a mile, let alone 2.4, and I never thought I would find a 112mile ride easy. But I can honestly say I did. I certainly never expected to do a marathon and the IM was my first.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I feel that riding on any course that is being used at that time for racing on is extremely bad manners, I am sure most other serious riders would consider the same .

Actually, as a competitor, it doesn't bother me at all. You can't tell people to keep off public roads, and with timing chips and visible numbers, there is usually no problem.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Rollon, not too late at 65. I did IM Austria 4 weeks back with a 65 year old clubmate.

Very well done to both of you. I'd like to do IM eventually - I will do my first 1/2IM next year - but I fear my knees are not up to a marathon whether on its own or as part of an IM.

Ibbots

You Sir are evil and most definitely twisted :tongue:

The climb from Belmont bleach works is a right bugger, but then when go straight on at the cross roads you hit the mother of all hills, well you clearly know this you demented fool :tongue:

That is real leg burner of a ride there, might just give it go next Sunday :biggrin:

You're all cissies - done this route on my single speed and only cried twice

Top Bottom