Bolton Ironman Triathlon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
As a competitor and organizer of many events over the years, my feeling are very strong on this. For one we have to give the police details of how many people will be on the course, they do not need many reasons to refuse us permission the next year.

I understand the OP might not have been around cycling or competitive cycling very long, so I hope he now understands my feelings.

You're all cissies - done this route on my single speed and only cried twice
Singlespeed is for girls Ibbots :tongue: Come back when you've done it fixed :whistle:

OP
OP
R

Rollon

As a competitor and organizer of many events over the years, my feeling are very strong on this. For one we have to give the police details of how many people will be on the course, they do not need many reasons to refuse us permission the next year.

I understand the OP might not have been around cycling or competitive cycling very long, so I hope he now understands my feelings.

I didn't see it as a problem regards timing, confusion etc as the competitors were wearing timing chips, as I have done when running marathons. Also most of the roads were open to traffic.
No one complained to me directly although it was obvious by my attire that I wasn't competing.
When we marshall road running races, we have no authority to actually stop car drivers from pulling out of junctions etc onto the course, as runners approach, we are just there to warn them.
Having said that, I do completely see your point and fully agree with you, I never intended going so far but got caught up in it.
I used to think exactly the same as you when 'ghost' runners would join in a marathon, some even with forged numbers on their vest.
It is something I won't repeat and must admit I did feel a little guilty at the time.
Some were riding the course the opposite way and I did consider this but thought it would perhaps be dangerous.
Dave.

Will1985

Über Member
I feel that riding on any course that is being used at that time for racing on is extremely bad manners, I am sure most other serious riders would consider the same . It is hard enough job for the organisers to check times, positions, numbers etc. without pretend racers joining in. By all means view the sport, but for the sake of the competitors and the racers stay off the course.
It can also be dangerous - I once had a scare when I hit a roundabout in a TT (early starter) and then found the front bunch of a sportive streaming onto the RAB from the 2nd exit and then onto the TT course. Some later riders were not happy at all, especially when sportive types think they are in the TdF.

To the OP, I'm surprised they were so polite in declining your offer - if a draft buster had been around they would have been penalised for just being near you which could result in a 2 minute time penalty. Mind you, if you were passing them they were probably M/BOPers to whom time isn't as significant as finishing.

screenman

Legendary Member
Although some event use timing chips many do not, take time trials as an example hand timed with a stop watch. They have a bunch or even just a couple of cyclist coming towards them which one do they time? Drafting as someone has pointed out is frowned upon, having somebody sitting on your wheel again the same.

I know they are public roads but we as cyclist should respect each other and have a basic grasp of cycling etiquette.

Rollon, I hope you understand that my posts on this subject are aimed not just at you, but also anybody else who thinks it may be a good idea to do the same as you did.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It was I who posted on Monday, asking why none of the competitors wanted to take my wheel. As I had guessed, several people replied that drafting wasn't allowed.

I was on my way cycling from Blackburn to Trafford Park and had no idea the Ironman was taking place on the route I had planned. I asked a marshall who said it was fine for me to ride along. I chatted with several competitors, all of whom seemed happy enough to pass the time of day. I can't see how that was discourteous in any way at all.

At least I didn't drop any food wrappers or bottles or bidons as several had done - what makes people think they have the right to litter the countryside when they are racing?

OP
OP
R

Rollon

I don't take any comments as personal, especially as i understand where they are coming from.
As I said, I am not a racer, in fact I have only got into cycling in the last couple of years through being unable to run through injury.
I am not as young as I was, but still very fit for age. Ask me anything about marathon running etc and I am there, however I clearly understand that I need to learn the rules and as suggested, the etiquette of cycling events and participation, as I don't want to be seen as a cowboy.
I also see from reading some posts that I need to learn the language, then I might know what some posters are on about.:wacko:
Dave.

Ibbots

Singlespeed is for girls Ibbots :tongue: Come back when you've done it fixed :whistle:

Sheephouse Lane done fixed 2 weeks ago when I had a go at the Ironman loop, but not the rest. The chap on the tourer I passed on the flatter bit near top was impressed, he didn't see the state I was in trying to get round the sharp left hander at the top of the long straight- closest I've come to getting off and either pushing or weeping or most likley both for a long time.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
A guy who regularly runs the parkrun I volunteer at was in this triathlon, he came 132 out of 1049 in the provisional results! Some seriously impressive splits!

monnet

Guru
At least I didn't drop any food wrappers or bottles or bidons as several had done - what makes people think they have the right to litter the countryside when they are racing?

What makes people who do sportives think they can drop litter? They are far worse in my experience. Go to a road race and, sure, you'll see the odd gel wrapper on the floor afterwards and my guess is it's there because the rider missed his pocket when trying to put the wrapper away tidily. One handed. At 30mph. In a bunch of 80.

Also, people don't throw bidons away in races a la tour de france. They ping out of bottle cages at high speed, they slip out of the hand as you're trying to get them in/ out of the cage. I dropped one a while ago and actually went back to find it but it had already gone. Possibly picked up by an organiser. You don't drop bidons deliberately for three main reasons - 1) you have to buy a new one 2) it's seriously dangerous in a bunch. Even in a TT a bottle can bounce out without the rider noticing.

The third reason also applies to litter from gels: Race organisers are under a lot of scrutiny from local police and councils who seem very keen to cancel bike races at any opportunity. Consequently, prior to any race you get a race brief in which you are told the dangers of the course and the expected behaviour. This always includes the promise (and it is a promise) that people who drop litter will be fined and failure to obey the rules of the road will also result in a fine. Serious or repeated breaches will result in disqualification.

I accept that there is detritus on the road after a race but it's nothing compared to a sportive. Follow the route of a race two hours after it's finished and you'll find nothing like the rubbish left after a sportive. Follow a race while it's in progress and you'll find the riders (even the off the back stragglers who don't have commissaires behind them) are much more considerate and aware of other road users than most sportive riders too.

crisscross

Whilst I am sure the above is all true, my children are now the proud owners of half a dozen bidons from the hundreds thrown away onto pavements / bottom of hedges / sides of the road by the racers on Sunday.

I stopped along the road I was using and could have filled the boot.

Free drinks were provided in sponsored bidons and large bins were provided for the riders to throw the used bottles into.

Needless to say few, bothered with the bins.

I hopethe organisers were consciencious enough to go around the course at the end to retrieve the rest.

monnet

Guru
With regard to 'tagging along in a race' I agree with screenman. TTs and road races have very strict criteria to adhere to and if the police perceive there to have been breaches of criteria they are likely to pull the event or make it even more difficult to run the next time.

The roads are for public use, we all accept that - that, after all, is why we cyclists get het up about motorists. But we have to respect the other road users as they do us. For me, tagging along in a sportive is no real sin. Anyone could be out on the road at that time. There is no rolling closure and so long as you're not dangerous or taking advantage (nicking food, etc) there's not a lot that can be done. I don't do it myself but that's my choice. But in an actual race it's interfering with a competitive event. A mate of mine was testing one night, had a number on his back, TT bike etc, and some guy started wheel sucking him. He tried to get this guy to get off his wheel pointing out the number, the fact he was actually racing only to be told 'I'm just out for a ride'. Very bad manners in my view, off putting and potentially dangerous.

monnet

Guru
Whilst I am sure the above is all true, my children are now the proud owners of half a dozen bidons from the hundreds thrown away onto pavements / bottom of hedges / sides of the road by the racers on Sunday.

I stopped along the road I was using and could have filled the boot.

Free drinks were provided in sponsored bidons and large bins were provided for the riders to throw the used bottles into.

Needless to say few, bothered with the bins.

I hopethe organisers were consciencious enough to go around the course at the end to retrieve the rest.

That sounds like a sportive to me. I've never been to a race where free drinks were provided (apart from the occasional cup of tea in the village hall after the event). For a start 'hundreds' could not possibly be a race given the maximum field size is usually 80.

Sheephouse Lane done fixed 2 weeks ago when I had a go at the Ironman loop, but not the rest. The chap on the tourer I passed on the flatter bit near top was impressed, he didn't see the state I was in trying to get round the sharp left hander at the top of the long straight- closest I've come to getting off and either pushing or weeping or most likley both for a long time.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Top Bottom