Bombproof Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I agree :laugh:

Aksium wheels are an interesting marketing case that appeals to many people, they come with tyres and tubes already mounted at an affordable price and they don't look too bad. They aren't designed for commuting or hard riding, in fact, I wouldn't classify any 20 spokes rear wheel in the bombproof category.
But for free... What a deal :smile:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
get some hand built by Spa Cycles or any wheel builder these friendly forum types recommend. Mine are still as solid now as they were two years ago when purchased... the only downside of Spa Cycles is one of the guys will try to tell you what he thinks you want rather than what you think you want, and can get a tad shirty if you don't take his advice... but they do build a cracking wheel :smile:

I have seen / checked wheels built by Spa Cycles and they looked OK to me. No flaws that I could see.

I'm guessing here so don't throw your laptop at me :smile: or whatever device you use to write your posts. I'm thinking if I worked for Spa Cycles building wheels and somebody comes with an ideas of components for a wheel build and I consider they are not strong enough for the rider or perhaps the rim / hub combination don't add up to a good wheel or the choice of spokes, etc. I'd have to build the wheels..... maybe not happy about it so it's understandable they can get a bit funny. An independent wheel builder might refuse to build the wheels, end of story.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
But for free... What a deal :smile:

Well you say that, but that depends on the intended usage. Somebody requiring a set of wheels for a commute might have to go through several sets of Aksiums while somebody that got proper commuting wheels might have to buy tyres only. I don't commute but the people that come to me asking for wheels that are not going to be constantly failing make me think that is a high priority.

Horses for courses.... if you need a set of wheels for a ride around the park then you don't need anything that is bombproof :smile:

rb58

Enigma
.....in fact, I wouldn't classify any 20 spokes rear wheel in the bombproof category.
I'm not the lightest of riders and my Mavic Kysrium Elites (18 spoke front, 20 rear) are as true today as when I bought them - probably 7,000 miles ago. I'd classify them as bomb-proof - more so than the 36 spoke hand builts I got from a reputable wheel builder that needed to be re-tensioned and trued with less than 1,000 miles on the clock. They weren't as expensive as the Mavics, but neither were they budget wheels (XT hubs, Exal rims).

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Well you say that, but that depends on the intended usage. Somebody requiring a set of wheels for a commute might have to go through several sets of Aksiums while somebody that got proper commuting wheels might have to buy tyres only. I don't commute but the people that come to me asking for wheels that are not going to be constantly failing make me think that is a high priority.

Horses for courses.... if you need a set of wheels for a ride around the park then you don't need anything that is bombproof :smile:

I really have no idea why I feel the need to defend these wheels, and I do bow to your superior knowledge, but after a few thousand miles my wheels are fine and dandy, although the braking surface is pretty well worn ;)

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I really have no idea why I feel the need to defend these wheels, and I do bow to your superior knowledge, but after a few thousand miles my wheels are fine and dandy, although the braking surface is pretty well worn ;)

Please don't feel like I'm attacking you :smile: if the wheels are fine for you then that is fine. My point was about that I don't think such wheels would be suitable for somebody that likes riding hard, besides, these are road wheels and the PO is after 26" wheels, he would trash the Aksium pretty fast I'd think :smile:

I'm not the lightest of riders and my Mavic Kysrium Elites (18 spoke front, 20 rear) are as true today as when I bought them - probably 7,000 miles ago. I'd classify them as bomb-proof - more so than the 36 spoke hand builts I got from a reputable wheel builder that needed to be re-tensioned and trued with less than 1,000 miles on the clock. They weren't as expensive as the Mavics, but neither were they budget wheels (XT hubs, Exal rims).

Yes, I know the wheels, Mavic Kysrium Elites and although they are far superior quality than the Aksiums and with the thickness of the spokes at lest twice that of the Aksiums. 7000 miles is impressive but we don't know under what conditions. Let's say that I've inspected Mavic Kysrium Elites with just over 3000 miles of reasonable hard riding and also Mavic Kysrium Elites ridden by 17st rider and both cases the signs were not good.

1000 miles from a handbuilt wheel, before needing re truing is not a good sign but without more information I cannot comment.

Sharky

Guru
I've had Mavic Aksium on my SingleSpeed for a few years, they're apparently universally agreed to be bombproof and can't be picked up for chuff all second hand.

Bombproof they might be, but prone to the odd squeak after somersaulting over a Vauxhall Corsa!

_8204501.JPG

In spite of the above, am a fan of Mavic and replaced it with the same,

Cheers
Keith

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
more so than the 36 spoke hand builts I got from a reputable wheel builder that needed to be re-tensioned and trued with less than 1,000 miles on the clock. They weren't as expensive as the Mavics, but neither were they budget wheels (XT hubs, Exal rims).
Strange. I self built a set of wheels and the rear is 36 spokes with XT hub and Mavic rims. I don't claim to be a pro wheel builder and haven't had any training but this wheel set has so far completed around 9000 miles and apart from a hub regrease a couple of months ago have been untouched since the day they were built.
I consider myself to be quite tough on wheels with some bunnyhopping, riding down steps and load carrying (like an 8 pack of Pepsi cans and 1pt of milk in the panniers) but fully expect these disc brake wheels to last several multiples of the distance they have already covered if I can keep pedalling long enough.

Top Bottom