Bone Conducting Headphone advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambsno

May use myself on the bike but primarily thinking of this for the wife who runs a few times a week. Her one criticism of her buds is that she cant hear around her, but never used this type of headphones before. Firstly, are they actually any good?

We are not sound buffs, (having used the standard Apple cable ones or moderately priced wired running ones. She has a pair of c. £35 wireless earbuds from Amazon, I have the Apple AirPods) but want reasonable sound quality that don't sound like kids ones.

Saw these but no idea if any good or better options at the £50+ mark? https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Aftershokz/Aeropex-Wireless-Headphones/N77S

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
@Saluki had some. She is the person to ask. I think she quite liked them

Daninplymouth

Bit off topic but I use these and find them really good. For cycling I just use the left ear only so my right can pick up other sounds. They are waterproof and the battery lasts for ages

Sillyoldman

Veteran
I’ve been using blue tooth Aftershokz for a couple of years. Fantastic, ok they are no way as good as in ears for sound quality but they’re not bad. Battery lasts about 6-8 hours play time. They’ve coped with my sweaty head. Comfortable with glasses on and you still hear traffic, sat nav beeps etc..

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another user of Aftershokz here and another recommendation for them. As already noted, you won't get the high quality sound that you'd get from normal headphones of the same cost and wind noise may be a problem at speed. However you can still hear everything going on around you while still enjoying music, podcasts, etc, get decent battery life and they seem to fit me when used with glasses.

I have the Trekz Air which are currently available for £70 or the basic Trekz Titanium version can be had for £56

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My old iphone5 had an earphone jack which had an hearing loop interface with my hearing aids so I could hear my spotify music and anything else on my iphone through my hearing aids on a social setting so I could still hear sounds and people talking through my hearing aids.

Move on a year and my old iphone died so my son gave me his cast off iphone8 which doesn't have a jack socket so can't plug the hearing loop into my phone... perfect example of Apple completely wrecking a simple and elegant solution for deaf people. These 'bud's are useless as I can't use them with hearing aids and my hearing aids can't use Bluetooth.

DRHysted

Guru
Another long time aftershokz user here. I don’t use them when cycling with a helmet as I don’t find them comfortable, but do use them on the recumbent where I don’t use a helmet. Mostly I use them whilst running.
unfortunately within about a year something on them stops working, however aftershokz offer a 2 year warranty and their customer service is excellent. So I tend to purchase a set every 2 and a bit years, and have a warranty replacement set in between. I’ve just purchased some of their latest models which now claim to be IP67 and IP68 rated, so I’m interested to see how these fair.
for the record I have tried some cheap ones off Amazon which only lasted 3 months!

DRHysted

Guru
My old iphone5 had an earphone jack which had an hearing loop interface with my hearing aids so I could hear my spotify music and anything else on my iphone through my hearing aids on a social setting so I could still hear sounds and people talking through my hearing aids.

Move on a year and my old iphone died so my son gave me his cast off iphone8 which doesn't have a jack socket so can't plug the hearing loop into my phone... perfect example of Apple completely wrecking a simple and elegant solution for deaf people. These 'bud's are useless as I can't use them with hearing aids and my hearing aids can't use Bluetooth.

Doesn’t the headphone adapter allow you to use your hearing loop interface?

Attachments

• B36FC7FE-37A3-4002-B18B-E4D8BC8F2A2E.jpeg
    B36FC7FE-37A3-4002-B18B-E4D8BC8F2A2E.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 2

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
May use myself on the bike but primarily thinking of this for the wife who runs a few times a week. Her one criticism of her buds is that she cant hear around her, but never used this type of headphones before. Firstly, are they actually any good?

Tell her to turn volume down, then she’ll be able hear around her even with ear buds.

Top Bottom