1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bonked

Discussion in 'Sportives' started by yorkshiregoth, 29 Aug 2007.

1. yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

I had the misfortune of 'bonking' this afternoon (not the sexual kind). I am getting in some long training rides as I am off to Egypt on Friday and will (hopefully) be riding from Cairo to Hurghada and back next week. I have managed 312 miles from Sunday - Tuesday, but today I could only manage another 64 miles before giving up. I tried an energy bar (Cliff) but it didn't seem to give me the impetus to carry on. Hopefully I will feel rested tomorrow and try and get in another century.

Also wolfed down 4 bananas and a bag of dried apricots to no avail.

2. dangerousjules

dangerousjules New Member

fookin ell yorkygoth d'you know how hot it's gonna be!

3. yorkshiregoth

Yep ;), we have a flat in Cairo, so I go there every couple of months but I haven't yet done any 'major' cycling over there, just riding around town etc.

4. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

How far is it from Cairo to Hurghada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. yorkshiregoth

About 330 miles each way.

6. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Good grief!

I 'bonked' on Tuesday, after a 6 mile ride to the stables, an hour's lesson, a six mile ride back and half an hour on the allotment. Dragged myself home and up the stairs to the flat, and was so exhausted I sat on the bed and cried, unable, for a moment to muster the energy to make a cup of tea, which is what I really needed.;)

Pathetic! Actually, it might have been dehydration, and perhaps a touch of emotional turmoil, but it felt like total exhaustion...

So, hats off to you YG!:biggrin:

7. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

It's probably less tiring to stick to the sexual kind of bonking.

8. vorsprung

vorsprung Über Member

Sounds like you will have better weather than we had on Paris-Brest-Paris last week

I'm never ridden in super hot conditions before. I would have thought that fluids were the main problem, not carbohydrate intake.

9. yorkshiregoth

Got my camelbak's ready.

10. Johnny Thin

Johnny Thin New Member

Do they have Esso garages in Cairo full of crisps, sarnies, flapjax, etc?

11. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

He should be back soon then perhaps you'll get the answer, although I'm sure I know what it will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. yello

yello Guru

I know the effect that would have on me :blush:

13. Pointydog

Pointydog New Member

An isotonic gel bar every 10 miles washed down with Gatorade or similar works for me. It also gives me something to look forward to !

14. I will be considering camelbak's myself, fumbling for water bottles is less than fun on the potholed roads I was riding on today, I don't know if I bonked but my legs were totally pulverised at the end of a 68 mile run, couldn't get any more out of them, new legs please!

15. Sambu

Sambu Active Member

Not necessarily!