Bonked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
I had the misfortune of 'bonking' this afternoon (not the sexual kind). I am getting in some long training rides as I am off to Egypt on Friday and will (hopefully) be riding from Cairo to Hurghada and back next week. I have managed 312 miles from Sunday - Tuesday, but today I could only manage another 64 miles before giving up. I tried an energy bar (Cliff) but it didn't seem to give me the impetus to carry on. Hopefully I will feel rested tomorrow and try and get in another century.

Also wolfed down 4 bananas and a bag of dried apricots to no avail.

fookin ell yorkygoth d'you know how hot it's gonna be!

OP
OP
yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Yep ;), we have a flat in Cairo, so I go there every couple of months but I haven't yet done any 'major' cycling over there, just riding around town etc.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Good grief!

I 'bonked' on Tuesday, after a 6 mile ride to the stables, an hour's lesson, a six mile ride back and half an hour on the allotment. Dragged myself home and up the stairs to the flat, and was so exhausted I sat on the bed and cried, unable, for a moment to muster the energy to make a cup of tea, which is what I really needed.;)

Pathetic! Actually, it might have been dehydration, and perhaps a touch of emotional turmoil, but it felt like total exhaustion...

So, hats off to you YG!:biggrin:

vorsprung

Veteran
Sounds like you will have better weather than we had on Paris-Brest-Paris last week

I'm never ridden in super hot conditions before. I would have thought that fluids were the main problem, not carbohydrate intake.

OP
OP
yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Got my camelbak's ready.

Pointydog

An isotonic gel bar every 10 miles washed down with Gatorade or similar works for me. It also gives me something to look forward to !

Top Bottom