Bontrager

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Found out that the above inner tubes have valves that unscrew.Found out when replacing the inner tube and inflating with my Layzene when unscrewing the connector the internal bit comes out.Swapped it for a Michelin inner.Would not have liked to had a a puncture out on the road.

I do carry a co2 As back up to the mini pump.Not sure if other inners have this problem.

A lot of inner tubes have removable cores. Use a spoke key, or a valve tool to tighten them up before using a screw down inflator or pump, and they should be fine. Alternatively use a press on inflator with a smooth valve.

Ajax Bay

Guru
This is an issue that really only surfaces for those who choose to use a pump which has a screw-on head. If a rider chooses to carry one of those they need to recognise the issue and pay attention when they buy inners (Presta valved) and avoid those which have cores which unscrew. Maybe the problem with doing so is that the information (ie does a particular make of inner use unscrewable cores) is not straightforwardly available. As @rr says, "use a [pump with a] press on inflator".:idea:

vickster

Legendary Member
I like my proper Lezyne pump with the tube thingy more than the plasticky mini pumps with the press on head. Just avoid Continental and seemingly Bontrager tubes. I’m not interested in faffing around with premium products to make them usable :rolleyes:

wonderloaf

Veteran
Someone at Topeak has been listening to customer feedback as it has a valve core tightening tool built into the end cap, so you're never without it. Now I just have to remember to use it! :whistle:

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Changed an inner tube (Continental) after a puncture. Pumped up new inner tube. Valve came out as I unscrewed the pump. Valve stuck in pump hose and wouldn’t come out. Phone call to the wife for roadside assistance. This happened to a friend of mine. Obviously I wouldn’t be that stupid!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I have a separate little tool that removes and replaces valve cores, like a Woods valve, only Schrader. I always used to think that was the difference between the two was that Woods had removable core, and Schrader did not. Woods looks like a Presta, but 0.305, 32tpi.

tom73

Guru
Someone at Topeak has been listening to customer feedback as it has a valve core tightening tool built into the end cap, so you're never without it. Now I just have to remember to use it! :whistle:

And risk not having colour coordinated dust caps ;)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That means using the dust caps, which is an absolute no-no for anyone with even the beginnings of a sense of style or pride. Dust caps are for chavs on cheap mountain bikes, not for the great and good.

mikeymustard

Veteran
That means using the dust caps, which is an absolute no-no for anyone with even the beginnings of a sense of style or pride. Dust caps are for chavs on cheap mountain bikes, not for the great and good.
friend of mine was sneering at my valve caps and lock nut, then managed to somehow get his valve caught in the wire fence he'd leant his bike against. Let's just say I didn't help him replace his inner tube!

Top Bottom