Book Recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
I have a three day cycle tour coming up and, sadly or maybe not, as much as looking forward to this I am equally looking forward to the relaxation and the gift of quality time to read.

My usual fare would be biographies, cycle related travel literature, humour, sport (William Hill Book of the Year type) or anything thought provoking or current.

I realise that's similar to asking how long is a piece of string but any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks and hope to hear.

MikeW-71

Veteran
How about Tyler Hamilton's The Secret Race? Quite eye-opening and a good read.

discominer

Chris Hadfield's 'an astronaut's guide to life on earth' is an easy read, nearly biography, nearly self help. I like Ned Boulting's stuff as well as The Cycling Anthology series.

arch684

Veteran
At the moment I'm reading One man and his bike by Mike Carter. It was kindly sent to me by @Fnaar I'am almost finished it if you pm me your address i will post it on to you in a couple of days

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I recently read 'A Football Man' by John Giles and I found it to be very interesting reading - well written, too !

He has a lot to say about his time with Manchester United and obviously, Leeds United. He mentions many of the important figures of the game, in the period of the early 60s to the late 70s.

The Leeds team of that time, were very unpopular, but there is no doubt, that Giles was one of the best footballers of his, or any other generation. He was a very intelligent footballer and this is also reflected in his writing - an interesting and entertaining book, with some interesting revelations, especially about Manchester United.

For example, I didn't know that Manchester United did nothing for the victims of the Munich disaster. In fact, they turfed the pregnant wife of one of the victims, out her home which was owned by the club. Many years later, at the behest of the supporters, a testimonial was organised by the Supporters Club, for the benefit of the relations of the victims; all the families received about £40, 000; Eric Cantona demanded and received, £90,000 appearance money - greedy, grabbing individual.

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
How about Tyler Hamilton's The Secret Race? Quite eye-opening and a good read.
Cheers, I've read this. Great book.

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
At the moment I'm reading One man and his bike by Mike Carter. It was kindly sent to me by @Fnaar I'am almost finished it if you pm me your address i will post it on to you in a couple of days
Thanks, I have already read it and I loved this book. Sorry, I can't take up your kind offer.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Best football book I've read lately..
Where's your Caravan? My Life on Football 'B' roads by Chris Hargeaves

travel book? an oldie but goldie

My lead dog was a lesbian by B. O'Donoughue

Top Bottom