book recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bonj2

Lardyboy said:
Just finished Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler. Set in the present and just at the start of WW2. Not bad at all.

Or if you want a totally bizarre reading experience I can recommend The Master And Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. You've got the devil and his followers, a poet in a mental hospital for telling the truth, a reconstruction of the story of Pontius Pilate, all set in early Soviet Russia. No wonder Stalin surpressed it!

that sounds good, might give that a go!

Dayvo said:
Funny! I've just started to try reading this again (for the umpteenth time), but this time I'll finish it! :tongue:

Dayvo you either love it and sail through it, or it becomes a bit "War and Peace" like and you feel obliged to finish it come hell or high water. Not the best way to read a book IMO. But it might "click" this reading for you though? :biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
Another to look at is Kim Stanley Robinson's trilogy Red Mars, Green Mars and Blue Mars. Although it is sci-fi again, like Clarke's Rama series it is a lot more to do with social engineering then out and out fantasy tech stuff.

Noodley

Okay, 3 books not one but you'll zip through them:

Peter Pan by JM Barrie
Treasure Island and The Master of Ballantrae by RL Stevenson

domtyler

Über Member
Have you read much in the way of Charles Dickens? If not I would thoroughly recommend it. Takes a little while to get used to the language, but once you've cracked it they are cracking yarns.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Lardyboy said:
Or if you want a totally bizarre reading experience I can recommend The Master And Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. You've got the devil and his followers, a poet in a mental hospital for telling the truth, a reconstruction of the story of Pontius Pilate, all set in early Soviet Russia. No wonder Stalin surpressed it!

I LOVE this book, it's my all time favourite novel! Totally barking but utterly brilliant. When I was in Moscow a couple of years ago, I went to the square where it all begins and someone had done a fantastic mural of the novel.

Read it...this is brilliant!!

peloquin

Night Train said:
Another to look at is Kim Stanley Robinson's trilogy Red Mars, Green Mars and Blue Mars. Although it is sci-fi again, like Clarke's Rama series it is a lot more to do with social engineering then out and out fantasy tech stuff.

I love 'Hard Sci-Fi'! the physics involved really get the imagination goin :eek:
My favorite EPIC read:

'Destinys Children' books 1 to 4 by Stephen Baxter :
Coalescent
Exultant
Transcedent
Resplendent

(also try the "Time Eye" books by Arthur C.Clarke and Stephen Baxter)

Night Train

Maker of Things
zeptepi_13 said:
I love 'Hard Sci-Fi'! the physics involved really get the imagination goin :eek:
My favorite EPIC read:

'Destinys Children' books 1 to 4 by Stephen Baxter :
Coalescent
Exultant
Transcedent
Resplendent

(also try the "Time Eye" books by Arthur C.Clarke and Stephen Baxter)
The Clarke/Baxter 'Light Of Other Days' is also very good as is Baxter's Quadrilogy: Origin, Space, Time and Phase Space, though they can be very confusing.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
For good, intelligent murder stories try the Kurt Wallander series by Henning Mankell. "One Step Behind" is a nicely gruesome one.

For a convoluted but gripping spy thriller, Berlin Game (followed by Mexico Set and London Match) by Len Deighton is difficult to beat.

Top Bottom