Book recommendations

RichardB

Slightly retro
Richard's New Bicycle Book
Pan Books
Ballantyne, Richard
ISBN 0 330 31315 0
+1
Had the original Richard's Bicycle Book, first edition. Lent out and lost.
Got another, now second edition.
Got Richard's NEW Bicycle Book to see if better.
Now can't find either.

Great books, all of them. I know RB got a bit of flak for his chapter on dealing with 'wildlife', but his enthusiasm and knowledge turned me from someone who had a bike into a cyclist.

I'm sure I lent one to my grand-daughter when we gave her my wife's bike, but she denies all knowledge. Looks like I'll have to search out another copy.

Incidentally, don't bother with the associated 'Richard's Bicycle Repair Manual'. It's far less detailed than any of the versions of RBB, and although the illustrations are the usual DK high quality, it doesn't tell you much. Disappointing.

RichardB

Slightly retro
My OH really enjoyed Pants of Perspective by Anna Macduff.
The title and author's name alone make this worth investigating.

One to skip is Life Without Limits by Chrissie Wellington. She was a recreational cyclist who discovered a talent for triathlon and achieved some incredible results in the sport. But it's just one of those books that never really goes much deeper than 'And then I did this... and then I went here...'. . She had obvious issues with eating disorders and an unhealthy perfectionism, and it could have been a valuable insight into the mental issues of being an elite athlete, but these are just mentioned in passing.

My OH really enjoyed Pants of Perspective by Anna Macduff.
Ironically I loved the Christie Wellington book! Everyone’s different, I guess! Pants of Perspective is fabulous...it’s about long distance hiking. Anna McDuff’s new book Llama Drama is about cycle touring!

Top Bottom