Booked my first Sportive...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dibs

Veteran
With the London to Paris trip coming up in July, I'm needing to ensure I up my miles, with that in mind, I've booked a place on the Evans Sportive at Callandar in April. Thought is jump straight in and do the Long ride (87miles).

I've already cycled 70 miles on my MTB and I'm getting my new road bike in March - no better way to christen it!

So, what can I expect?

Last edited:

MikeW-71

Veteran
You should enjoy yourself :smile:

Evans rides are well organised and signed, good feed stops and feel quite relaxed. They also don't give you a number to stick on your bars, just a timing chip sticker that goes on your helmet.

They will also be sure to visit as many of the local climbs as they can :laugh: If you've already done 70 miles on the MTB, you'll do 87 no problem at all on a road bike.

I'll be doing the opposite, picking a few MTB events to help train for my C2C next year :smile:

OP
OP
Dibs

Dibs

Veteran
Muppet I am. Should read April - I'm hoping auto correct has changed this otherwise my mind is going already...

I'm going to edit this now! ^_^

h0lly1991

I've entered the tour of pembrokeshire and will do the long 110 mile route... Although feeling anxious about the 10000ft of climbing on its 21 climbs.. Gulp.....oh well All training towards London to Paris in July.....

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
With the London to Paris trip coming up in July, I'm needing to ensure I up my miles, with that in mind, I've booked a place on the Evans Sportive at Callandar in April. Thought is jump straight in and do the Long ride (87miles).

I've already cycled 70 miles on my MTB and I'm getting my new road bike in March - no better way to christen it!

So, what can I expect?

Your road bike will make a big difference. Don't be afraid to swap your MTB saddle with your road bike saddle, even if it looks wrong. You need to be comfortable, looking like a pro comes well down the list.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Just noticed this after starting a separate thread - ready to pull the trigger but unsure whether to go medium or long. I'm thinking the 87.

What d'ya reckon Dibs?

OP
OP
Dibs

Dibs

Veteran
Just noticed this after starting a separate thread - ready to pull the trigger but unsure whether to go medium or long. I'm thinking the 87.

What d'ya reckon Dibs?

I did think about the 54, but opted for the Long route as it's only 3 months away from my London to Paris ride, so it'll be a good training ride! I just need to stock up on Ibuprofen and Chamois cream...

:whistle:

Fubar

Guru
Entered the 87 miler!!!

Can't bear to turn up and be in the 'supported group' or 'beginners' or something like that!!

Pride has got me into attempting 87 miles! Better get practising.

Twice over Duke's Pass?? Nice :becool:

Top Bottom