Books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Josie Dew, Ride in the neon sun, Steve Primrose Smith, No place like home, Andrew P Sykes, Spain to Norway on a bike called Reggie, Along the Med on a bike called Reggie, Peter Walker, Bike Nation, Joe Kurmaskie, Riding outside the lines.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I like the more travel themed ones, Tim Moore's French Revolutions is nice but i think anything of that ilk is fascinating. I'll read anything travel related, all of Paul Theroux's (though trains feature rather than bikes). All the LEJOG accounts are pap, it's too small a subject to write a book about. Although I own and love all of the route / planning books, but I'm a sucker for a map.

Of the sporting ones i think the Pantani book is *the* must read, that's sad, harrowing, shocking and fascinating all at once.

Are you interested in practical guides to touring @Cathryn or just travellers' tales? If so, have another recommendation in addition to toms bike trip chappie in other thread.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Are you interested in practical guides to touring @Cathryn or just travellers' tales? If so, have another recommendation in addition to toms bike trip chappie in other thread.

Probably more travellers' tales. Before we had a child, we did enough touring that I roughly knew what I was doing...I'm waiting for our tandem to be modified so we can get out touring again.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Island Story: Journeys Through Unfamiliar Britain, J.D. Taylor- a sort of Road to Wigan Pier on wheels: Dan Taylor travels through post-austerity Britain on a £30 Raleigh Pioneer fuelled by beer, chips and vegetarian wraps from local supermarkets.

The Sweat of the Gods, Benjo Maso. A history of Continental cycle racing exploring the relationship between the organisers of the races, industry sponsors, and the riders themselves.

tyred

Legendary Member
Pedals and Petticoats by Mary Elsy
Round Ireland in low gear by Eric Newby
Sixty-six years a cycle tourist by Cliff Pratt
Golden days awheel by Albert Winstanly
Mainly by bike by Anne Wilson

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Don't buy books by crooks.

Preach!!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Pedals and Petticoats by Mary Elsy
Round Ireland in low gear by Eric Newby
Sixty-six years a cycle tourist by Cliff Pratt
Golden days awheel by Albert Winstanly
Mainly by bike by Anne Wilson

I have pedals and petticoats - I may reread. Thanks.

I loved the first Josie Dew book (Wind in my Wheels) - I found it really inspiring, it kicked off my touring obsession.

I have pedals and petticoats - I may reread. Thanks.

I loved the first Josie Dew book (Wind in my Wheels) - I found it really inspiring, it kicked off my touring obsession.
Kinda inspiring of course, but i find she has a rather clunky writing style.

Top Bottom