boot for wrecked tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

If you use a bit of old tyre for any length of time it will rub the tube and puncture it , if the hole is not to big I would use a few layers of duct tape ( power tape or gorilla tape)

A boot must not be stretchable like a piece of tube. Tube never works because it will simply herniate and pop through the hole. You need something stiff. A piece of road bike tyre is good if you can get a thin enough piece but I just used oval-shaped pieces of HDPE (milk bottle) plastic. The fold nicely with the tyre and take on the roundness, but don't stretch against inflation. Tape it on with some duct tape, as suggested.

You need not really carry any either, as there's enough lying around next to the road in anyway.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
A boot must not be stretchable like a piece of tube. Tube never works because it will simply herniate and pop through the hole. You need something stiff. A piece of road bike tyre is good if you can get a thin enough piece but I just used oval-shaped pieces of HDPE (milk bottle) plastic. The fold nicely with the tyre and take on the roundness, but don't stretch against inflation. Tape it on with some duct tape, as suggested.

You need not really carry any either, as there's enough lying around next to the road in anyway.
would this piece of 23mm tyre do on a 37mm tyre?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 34

Tim Hall

would this piece of 23mm tyre do on a 37mm tyre?
I reckon so, although that looks a bit long.

This time last week we MacGyvered a boot using a gel wrapper, which was just stuffed into place in the tyre and held there by the tube pushing against it. Other candidates were a non adhesive wound dressing, still in its wrapper, from my first aid kit and a selection of road side and bin rubbish. This lasted long enough to complete 25 miles that day, then a further few the next, to a Decathlon store where a new tyre was bought. I got my trusty Opinel out and cut a section from the knackered tyre so I now have a proper boot in my kit.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Cardboard from a roadside fag packet shreds in about 5 miles. It got me within half a mile if home, though, so it was good enough.

A piece of crisp packet would do a better job - but you won't have scissors to cut it up. A fag packet can be torn. A condom wrapper would be excellent (foil, about the right size already) should you suffer a tyre failure in that sort of neighbourhood...

Last edited:
I've used an old 5iver (new one would be even better), but the boot that comes with the lezyne patch kit is excellent.

(I really shouldn't let my tyres get into that condition)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Latex tubes will herniate through and tear open the tiniest hole due to their flexibility so I have occasionally extended the life of a tyre by patching from inside a hole that wouldn't matter with a butyl tube but through which you can actually see a latex tube beginning to bulge. That tyre always goes on the back wheel though.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've used the gel wrapper trick to get me home, but of course you need to be carrying a gel in the first place and I know that they're not to everyone's liking.

Top Bottom