Booze as a Gift for a Non Drinker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Back in the early 2010's, I ran a once-a-month pub quiz for a local charity for a little over two years. I'd attended the quiz as a participant for a good 6-7 years before that and took over from the previous host when he stepped down as he didn't have the time to write the questions any more. Most of the competitors were regulars and had been attending for at least as long as I had (probably longer), so I thought they knew me pretty well. And even if they didn't KNOW I was a teetotaller (I'm sure it came up in conversation with some of them), the fact that at each of these quizzes, whether as host or participant, all they'd ever seen me drink was a pint of coke, I thought that would be enough of a clue.

So when I eventually handed over the reigns to my successor, they had a whip round for a thank you gift and got me.... a big box of cans of Stella. I smiled and thanked them all profusely and went home and gave them to my Dad (who is a big drinker). No harm, no foul.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'd identify the non smokers among their number and buy them each 200 flags.

I steer clear of Secret Satan after someone bought a lass a large sex toy. It was a work one, and the inevitable inquisition was as uncomfortable as it was unsuccessful. (And no, it was nothing to do with me!)

I take it you mean it was a works secret Santa, as opposed to a works sex toy?

lane

Veteran
Give them away again. Sometimes to people at work sometimes to school Christmas or summer fair. If they don't buy you a bottle of something what would they give you and would you like it any better? It's not like they will buy you some decent kit for your bike, is it?

bluenotebob

Veteran
@Heltor Chasca … there are people who know you well enough to give you Xmas presents ... but don't know that you're teetotal?

Present giving in the UK must be a lot more profligate than I'd realised. Or have you only been teetotal for a few weeks?

lane

Veteran
I visited my Grandad in a care home a few years ago and they had a raffle going on with a bunch of crap, including alcohol. Do you think when cannabis gets legalized we'll have baggies at school fairs and nursing home raffles?

Maybe. They have a bar at the summer school fair which I would guess is the bigest earner.

I visited my Grandad in a care home a few years ago and they had a raffle going on with a bunch of crap, including alcohol. Do you think when cannabis gets legalized we'll have baggies at school fairs and nursing home raffles?
No.

Edibles: yup. But it may take a decade or two.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It's the thought that counts, accept with a smile and re-gift when the chance comes.
Btw, wine can be used for cooking too!

there are people who know you well enough to give you Xmas presents ... but don't know that you're teetotal?
I understand @Heltor Chasca is a gardener, his clients may want to gift him a wee something for Christmas, I would if I had a gardener.
As it is, I have a great postman that deserves a Christmas gift: he got what he liked, because I inquired about what he drinks at the local shop, otherwise I would have picked a random gift.

This thread isn’t intended to ignite a divisive debate between the teetotallers and the partakers.

Just some seasonal etiquette advice please, for me as a teetotaller. At this time of year, clients and neighbours who don’t know me incredibly well, sometimes give me gifts in the form of alcohol. Brandy, cider, beer, whisky mainly.

In the past I have kept them then given them away when it’s my turn to gift someone or thank them for a favour. I have yet to give any of them their own gift back.

What do/would you do?

This happens less to me, possibly because of my line of work these days, but I'd do the same.

I'd say oh thanks that's a really lovely gesture, you didn't have to....but I'm afraid I don't drink, please keep it and have a drink on my behalf. You miss out on a present this year, but they won't make the same mistake again, and you may actually get something you like next Xmas, which is the whole point of their gesture in the first place.

That makes a lot of sense, but my Yorkshire blood is now thinking "Wait, then I'd have to buy, as in spend money on presents for people..." Besides, my Japanese family really appreciate our local wine and Sekt, so it's a ideal solution.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
@Heltor Chasca … there are people who know you well enough to give you Xmas presents ... but don't know that you're teetotal?

Present giving in the UK must be a lot more profligate than I'd realised. Or have you only been teetotal for a few weeks?

I’ve been teetotal for about 3 years I think. I am a gardener as @Pat "5mph" says. people seem to be grateful for my work over the years so I guess they reward me. It is fairly standard for staff to get gifts but as we don’t ever talk about my/their recreational beverage habits, why would they ever know I wasn’t a drinker?

I am very neighbourly in our community and I guess people feel good about showing their gratitude. (But I’m fairly private so they wouldn’t know I don’t drink) They are presumably grateful for small things like carrying shopping in, fixing grandkids bikes, being sociable, snow clearance, bringing in bins, DIY help, garden and chicken advice etc. ALL really easy stuff that is hard sometimes for my oldies. It’s just normal stuff that you should do in a normal society. Trouble is, the modern world has stripped away these norms. I would sooner get blood from a stone than get a cheerful ‘Hallo!’ from the young couple two doors down.

I would do these favours anyway regardless of seasonal gifts. THEN film it and post it on social media and pronounce myself the new age god of kindness and light.

#Please like and retweet this 1000 000 times for my own self gratification. Thanks. Love you.

Top Bottom