Booze as a Gift for a Non Drinker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
This thread isn’t intended to ignite a divisive debate between the teetotallers and the partakers.

Just some seasonal etiquette advice please, for me as a teetotaller. At this time of year, clients and neighbours who don’t know me incredibly well, sometimes give me gifts in the form of alcohol. Brandy, cider, beer, whisky mainly.

In the past I have kept them then given them away when it’s my turn to gift someone or thank them for a favour. I have yet to give any of them their own gift back.

What do/would you do?

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Exactly that.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
You've got to say something or you'll keep getting booze every year:laugh:. 5 years from now they may find out you're teetotal and be like WTF?!...he never said anything, has he been pouring our drinks away or giving them away?....he must have had a really bad drink problem etc.

I'd say oh thanks that's a really lovely gesture, you didn't have to....but I'm afraid I don't drink, please keep it and have a drink on my behalf. You miss out on a present this year, but they won't make the same mistake again, and you may actually get something you like next Xmas, which is the whole point of their gesture in the first place.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've had four bottles of wine from customers so far. The thought is appreciated, but even when I was a drinker I didn't like wine. And it's always red, Mrs SJ only drinks white.

Mind you, A box of Quality Street and another of Roses won't go to waste, neither will the choccy biscuits :smile:

Brains

Legendary Member
Even us drinkers end up with stuff we dont want.
I have a drinks cupboard full of spirits. I dont drink spirits.
Still, it's not going to go off any time soon, so it will be re-gifted at the next suitable occasion

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Following. Someone in our secret santa has got me beer, It was evident from the rattle..

I only drink Whiskey :cheers:

Reminds of what happened at my office a few years ago; they decided to buy the team a bottle of wine each. Someone pointed out there were many non-drinkers in the group (including Muslims whose regifting opportunities would be few), so they sent an admin to get a sweet treat instead for those people. The whole team found it hilarious when she came back with liquor chocolates! She hasn't lived it down.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd identify the non smokers among their number and buy them each 200 flags.

I steer clear of Secret Satan after someone bought a lass a large sex toy. It was a work one, and the inevitable inquisition was as uncomfortable as it was unsuccessful. (And no, it was nothing to do with me!)

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'd identify the non smokers among their number and buy them each 200 flags.

I steer clear of Secret Satan after someone bought a lass a large sex toy. It was a work one, and the inevitable inquisition was as uncomfortable as it was unsuccessful. (And no, it was nothing to do with me!)

Not on your pension you won't!!:laugh:

Top Bottom