Boredom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
How do you folk keep your minds occupied when riding long distances or for long periods. Although I enjoy my cycling I find it very boring riding for several hours along lanes that all seem the same and little to look at of real interest, more so if I am simply riding to get the miles in rather than riding to actually get somewhere. I do vary my routes and try out new ones, but as I just said, one road is much the same as another! I don't like the idea of MP3 players or radios with earphones as I like to be aware of what's going on around me.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I don't ride long distances or for long periods because I find them boring. From about 60-70 mile onwards I get bored and just count down the miles to home. Instead I prefer to just ride 30-40 miles at a good speed, or with a certain aim in mind. I tend not to "just get the miles in" either.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I don't think I get bored out on the bike. Not done longer than about 65 miles solo but even on familiar roads, the enjoyment of cycling surpasses even putting up with my own company for that length of time. I usually have my camera with me, so I tend to examine the landscape for anything interesting to photograph, rather than merely glancing and looking away. I guess it helps that being out on the bike is one of the few times when I can (usually) escape from my inner demons, as it were.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
Perhaps boredom was the wrong expression. It is more keeping my mind occupied as well as my body.

I don't like the idea of an MP3 either; but I like the practice!

I have an iPod nano in my back pocket with the wire running up inside my top. One earpiece in my left ear and the other tucked into my top. I find my awareness uncompromised, but I am a frequuent looker-behinder.

I have a few playlists of various lengths (DadBikeLong, DadBikeShort etc) and the time just flies.

I'd ridden for decades without music, so I quite understand the arguments against:

1. The sensation and the sights alone should be enough.
2. You might be less aware of what's going on around you.

Nonetheless, the iPod adds a little zest to my rides and for anything over 2 hours it's a must.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I don't like the idea of an MP3 either; but I like the practice!

I have an iPod nano in my back pocket with the wire running up inside my top. One earpiece in my left ear and the other tucked into my top. I find my awareness uncompromised, but I am a frequuent looker-behinder.

I have a few playlists of various lengths (DadBikeLong, DadBikeShort etc) and the time just flies.

I'd ridden for decades without music, so I quite understand the arguments against:

1. The sensation and the sights alone should be enough.
2. You might be less aware of what's going on around you.

Nonetheless, the iPod adds a little zest to my rides and for anything over 2 hours it's a must.
Same as me only no playlists I just have shuffle on, and I use my phone. The surprising benefit of the phone was that the lack of infinte space all the music on my phone is music I like rather than collected!

I can hear cars and can have a conversation with someone at the traffic lights.

MarkF

Guru
Never had this problem! Maybe it's because I've usually something nice to look at with my regular loops around the Aire Valley or Yorkshire Dales. My mind spins with all sorts of crap, next new bike, women, football, women, new bike, beer, women, football. I thought this was normal? :smile:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I like to play little games. I will see how many red cars I can spot in a certain time and then try to beat that record. If I get bored with that (although not very likely I'm sure you will agree) I switch to another game for instance I will see how many blue cars I can see in a different amount of time and then see if I can beat that record. Or I might have a game of eye spy with myself. "But how" I hear you ask, and I'm glad you do. It goes like this. I close my eyes and think of something, then open my eyes and see how long it takes me to see the thing of which that i have thought of, of. Some games take longer than others, like the time when I thought of serendipity. And gas.

Lee_M

Guru
never done more than 70 miles, but haven't got bored yet, usually from thinking about that horrible climb I've just done or that horrible climb coming up.

and then I look at the countryside

yello

I'm lucky in that I don't get bored, even after hours on the bike. My mind always seems to find something to ponder. I wish I could be like that on rainy afternoons (like now) when I tend to get bored sh*tless if I don't occupy myself somehow. It seems as though I need physical activity to bring my brain to life!

I just talk to myself.

You wouldn't if you were me.

Both of me would take the opposing stance before the discussion had even begun and neither of me would let the other me get a word in.

Neither me would listen to a word the other me was saying, he would just be working out what to say next.

iPod every time for me.

As long as I can find a playlist I can agree on.

Top Bottom