Boring radiator question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We are looking to buy a heated towel rail, with an off set look. Like in the photo.

My concern is will the ends of the rails get hot, as the flow and return are next to each other.

Anyone with any knowledge?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Send an email to the manufacturer and ask them how the surface temperature of the radiator is evened out. There may be internal piping to spread the flow and return water. They may just rely on heat conduction along the surface of the pipe.

Lozz360

Veteran
I would have thought there would be internal pipes to ensure an even temperature spread. In fact I would be very surprised if there wasn’t. I don’t have particular knowledge of this one though.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If you know the model you are buying, maybe look at the manufacturer's blurb?
I'd be surprised if the temperature wasn't evened out.

D

Deleted member 26715

We have something similar due to heat transfer the whole thing gets warm, it looks like ours that it is ceramic coated they take a little longer to warm up, but they stay warmer longer

Dave7

Legendary Member
We replaced a small rad in the bathroom with a chrome towel rail.......similar in overall shape to the one you show. It did not give out enough heat (basic error).
After some research I found out the white coated rails give out 50% more heat than the identical one in chrome, so we swapped it this summer.
Worth checking if you haven't already done.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Ask to see a photo from the back.

Time saved on towel hanging will be offset by increased drying time, but the towel will dry eventually...

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yes, the water is pumped as in any rad.
Flow will be one way so it heats evenly.

Have you considered electric?
Better in summer as you dont need the boiler to heat

D

Deleted member 26715

Have you considered electric?
But very expensive when you do use them

D

Deleted member 26715

Mate of mine was talked into fitting underfloor heating under the tiles in the bathroom, absolutely lovely getting out of the shower/bathroom onto a warm floor. Problem is you could play a 78 on the electric meter when it's switched on.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
We replaced a small rad in the bathroom with a chrome towel rail.......similar in overall shape to the one you show. It did not give out enough heat (basic error).
After some research I found out the white coated rails give out 50% more heat than the identical one in chrome, so we swapped it this summer.
Worth checking if you haven't already done.

Also- and this may not apply to a soft-water area- every splash that gets on ours leaves a chalky mark. At first I'd be forever polishing the thing, now I just leave it looking crap.

keithmac

Guru
Mate of mine was talked into fitting underfloor heating under the tiles in the bathroom, absolutely lovely getting out of the shower/bathroom onto a warm floor. Problem is you could play a 78 on the electric meter when it's switched on.

I was talking about this a few days back (electric bills).

Mate at work had a Smart meter fitted and the installer was surprised to see the amount of electricity being used, they went round the houses checking and it turned out to be his bathroom underfloor heaters.

Said it had cost him a fair wedge on top of a normal bill.

Heard it said a few times electricity is nigh on 4 times as expensive as gas for heating..

Top Bottom