Boring radiator question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Heard it said a few times electricity is nigh on 4 times as expensive as gas for heating..
I am currently (forgive the pun!) using a small electric convector heater just to take the chill off this room, costing me about £2/day in electricity. In the cold of last winter it was costing £4-5/day to heat the whole house by gas.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Yes, the water is pumped as in any rad.
Flow will be one way so it heats evenly.

Have you considered electric?
Better in summer as you dont need the boiler to heat
I teed the bathroom towel radiator off the gas boiler circuit that heats the hot water cylinder. As others have pointed out, peak rate electricity is ruinously expensive.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I teed the bathroom towel radiator off the gas boiler circuit that heats the hot water cylinder. As others have pointed out, peak rate electricity is ruinously expensive.

That's fine if you have a hot water tank.

If its a combi you'd need to turn everything off or heat the house..

Granted leccy is costly but a good option for some situations.
All the apartments at work have leccy towel rails and it doesn't seem too bad.
There water filled and can be on for an hr or all night.

300w element so like a multi bulb room being lit for a few hrs.
But i guess its all down to the personal situation.

It would be a leccy one for me if we have one.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It used to be common to plumb radiators with 8mm or 10mm microbore pipe with both flow and return at the same bottom corner. There was a bit of pipe protruding into the radiator from the flow side which sort of forced a circulation.

View: https://youtu.be/yVoAblQvHLs

Having dismantled a few of these, the pipe can be longer than in that video - up to a foot.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It used to be common to plumb radiators with 8mm or 10mm microbore pipe with both flow and return at the same bottom corner. There was a bit of pipe protruding into the radiator from the flow side which sort of forced a circulation.

Having dismantled a few of these, the pipe can be longer than in that video - up to a foot.

I think one of my radiators has been connected up 'the wrong way round'. I get awful water hammer from it when the thermostatic valve tries to shut down the flow through it. A quick Google suggested that some old thermostats are unidirectional and don't work properly in the reverse direction! Bloody annoying because I have to either shut it off altogether, or turn it to maximum so the valve never kicks in.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

Very similar to my old house, remember having an issue with heat in one radiator and it was the small plastic pipe not sitting home correctly and more or less short circuiting the water flow. Also don't think you could fit thermostat valves neither to these. Anyway moved house and we have normal radiators and thermostatic valves.

Top Bottom