1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boring undertaking anecdote with a touch of sexism

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Crock of Gold, 2 Jul 2008.

1. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Boring anecdote at the beginning but vaguely interesting at the end, albeit a tad sexist, if any reader gets that far.

I am comfortable going fast along straight stretches but tend to err on the side of caution at busy junctions.

This morning I approached the reds at Tooting Broadway tube crossroads, heading north.

Inside lane for left turn or straight on, middle lane for straight on, third lane turning right. ASL available. Normally the inside lane is choc-a-bloc so I maze my way slowly through to the ASL. (I know the light change sequences here really well). Or just sit in the queue.

Anyway, today I approached the junction and was 50 metres out. Though there was a stationary queue of cars on the inside lane, there was a claer gap of about 4 feet, between the cars and the path railings, all the way down to the ASL. Lights had just turned red.

It crossed my mind - I can bomb it all the way to the ASL in one, simple, clean swoop. For once, I thought, I'd super-speed at a busy junction.

But then my innate conservatism took over and I just braked and started to coast on the inside instead. Just as the back-left door of the blue mini-cab at the back of the queue opened in front of me and the passenger got out.

Now, that only happens rarely to me and I wasn't expecting it on this stretch - where do the passengers go after all - with two lanes of cars on one side and railings on the other? But it happened. Glad I followed my instincts on this one.

The interesting bit? Well, I waited for the passenger to get out and walk off across the lanes to the tube. I thought about saying something politely but didn;t think it would be of much use. However, she came out of the car awkwardly in slo-mo time. Young and all done up (job interview?). With one arm outstretched holding the top of the open door, the other outstretched against the seat for leverage, her big bosoms stretching her tight shirt buttons showing glimpses of her bra was far more interesting.

I was glad to stop and wait.

2. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

That's not sexism, that's lust. :biggrin:

3. dondare

dondare Über Member

Why does this only happen to cyclists without helmet cameras?

4. magnatom

magnatom Guest

When they see a camera on your 'helmet' it tends to scare them off.....:biggrin:;)

5. OP
    OP
    Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

I plan to get a video cam.

Problem is that the camera will be on my helmet.

And the camera lens will be male.

I'll have to delete the footage as soon as I get home.

Couldn't have the other half seeing the footage. The lens following my eyes as it pans up and down legs, faces, bums of attractive women before it scans back to the big ugly red bus in front of me.

6. jely

jely New Member

hahahaha... ridiculous but made me laugh!

7. magnatom

magnatom Guest

You just need to learn to move your eyes independent of your head...:biggrin: