Boris and the great helmet debate...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Cripes! He's actually spoken some sense!

byegad

Legendary Member
Reminds me a local woman who's son was knocked off his bike by a car, he sustained a broken ankle and she started a Cycle Helmet Campaign!

domtyler

Über Member
Great story in the comments there. A bloke on a shared path comes a cropper due to a woman's dog and ends up in the ditch. "You should keep your dog under control" he cries to which the woman responds "Well your not even wearing a helmet"!!! FFS

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Good old Bozza, it was always going to be good to get someone 'real' in office. He may not be 'working class real', but at least he's not a bland automaton like Milliband and the like.....

Tynan

Veteran
so the regular rider can weigh up the risks and benefits can they? motorcyclists said mandatory crash helmets were an infringement etc etc

this isn't sense, it's just ducking the issue and keeping everyone happy

zimzum42

Legendary Member
So, you think they should be compulsory? I'm not sure what you're saying.....

It's not about weighing up the risks, it's about being aware fo the risk, and choosing to ignore it.
Motorbikes are far, far different, you're never going to get up to 80mphon a bicycle.....

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm impressed, and I didn't expect to be.

Just two points that render the motorcycle helmet comparison invalid are that motorcycle use is several times more dangerous in terms of accidents than cycling, and the helmets can have much more serious protection
since they don't have the same ventilation and weight limitations that cycle helmets have.

Tynan

Veteran
my only point was that pre mandatory crash helmet lots of bikers said it was their choice, not useful, yada yada

that's all

point being that they were clearly not qualified to fully judge the issue, given the lack of compelling scientific evidence on either side of the cycle helmet debate I think it's reasonable to say the same about the need for cycle helmets

Jaded

Tynan said:
my only point was that pre mandatory crash helmet lots of bikers said it was their choice, not useful, yada yada

that's all

point being that they were clearly not qualified to fully judge the issue, given the lack of compelling scientific evidence on either side of the cycle helmet debate I think it's reasonable to say the same about the need for cycle helmets

It isn't clear what you are saying here.

You are saying because there isn't a lot of evidence people should be forced to wear helmets?

Top Bottom