1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boris and the great helmet debate...

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Origamist, 17 Jun 2008.

1. Origamist

Origamist Guru

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/06/17/do1701.xml

In a nutshell:
    As for cycle helmets, we should be allowed, in our muddled way, to make up our own minds. Sometimes we will go for hatless, sun-blessed, windswept liberty; sometimes for helmeted security.

The important thing is that we assess the risk, we make the decision, and be it on our own heads - or, in the case of my helmet, sometimes not

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Cripes! He's actually spoken some sense!

3. byegad

byegad Guru

Reminds me a local woman who's son was knocked off his bike by a car, he sustained a broken ankle and she started a Cycle Helmet Campaign!

4. Riding in Circles

Riding in Circles Veteran

I rarely wear one.

5. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Great story in the comments there. A bloke on a shared path comes a cropper due to a woman's dog and ends up in the ditch. "You should keep your dog under control" he cries to which the woman responds "Well your not even wearing a helmet"!!! FFS

6. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Good old Bozza, it was always going to be good to get someone 'real' in office. He may not be 'working class real', but at least he's not a bland automaton like Milliband and the like.....

7. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

Don't you mean Millibland.... :tongue:

8. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Ah, I like the way he writes.

9. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

so the regular rider can weigh up the risks and benefits can they? motorcyclists said mandatory crash helmets were an infringement etc etc

this isn't sense, it's just ducking the issue and keeping everyone happy

10. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

So, you think they should be compulsory? I'm not sure what you're saying.....

It's not about weighing up the risks, it's about being aware fo the risk, and choosing to ignore it.
    Motorbikes are far, far different, you're never going to get up to 80mphon a bicycle.....

11. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

It's good to see that he does sometimes say something that we can agree with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

I'm impressed, and I didn't expect to be.

Just two points that render the motorcycle helmet comparison invalid are that motorcycle use is several times more dangerous in terms of accidents than cycling, and the helmets can have much more serious protection
    since they don't have the same ventilation and weight limitations that cycle helmets have.

13. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

my only point was that pre mandatory crash helmet lots of bikers said it was their choice, not useful, yada yada

that's all

point being that they were clearly not qualified to fully judge the issue, given the lack of compelling scientific evidence on either side of the cycle helmet debate I think it's reasonable to say the same about the need for cycle helmets

14. Jaded

Jaded New Member

It isn't clear what you are saying here.

You are saying because there isn't a lot of evidence people should be forced to wear helmets?

15. Riding in Circles

Riding in Circles Veteran

Asbestos underwear at the ready folks.;)