Boris and the great helmet debate...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Boris reflects my own POV but Tynan has a point too.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but each opinion will be informed to a lesser or greater extent than the next. For example, someone who rode a bike once, in a field, and who has since not read or heard anything about cycling is less informed than someone who commutes regularly in traffic and reads and listens to the views of other cyclists, particularly on use of helmets.

To enforce mandatory helmet wearing removes the right of everyone to decide whether or not to wear one, not just the uninformed who need their decisions made for them.

Lastly, "evidence" is a funny old thing. It can support a point of view, but that doesn't necesarily mean that a point of view without evidence is "wrong".

The age old helmet debate is wonderful with both sides trotting out the same old useless arguments time and time again, both sides getting pissy and no one getting anywhere, if ever there was anything that should be down to just personal choice it is helmets, I choose to wear one when it is cold but no thanks when it is hot.

Jaded

Catrike UK said:
both sides trotting out the same old useless arguments time and time again

It's not often that someone on a helmet related thread manages to piss both sides off!

Neither sides' arguments are 'useless', merely different. Otherwise it wouldn't be an argument.

THe motor cycle helmet analogy and comparison to cycle helmets raises a point.

Helmets work by absorbing the impact, as you get lighter and increase ventilation, you have less material to absorb the impact making the helmet less effective. That is why the helmets of today would almost all fail the basic tests applied to helmets ten years ago. The "Gold Standard" used to be the Snell B95 - there are NO helmets currently manufactured that pass this standard.

If we are serious about helmets as protection - why are we allowing such inferior products unless we are placing cosmetics above efficiency?

Cunobelin said:
THe motor cycle helmet analogy and comparison to cycle helmets raises a point.

Helmets work by absorbing the impact, as you get lighter and increase ventilation, you have less material to absorb the impact making the helmet less effective. That is why the helmets of today would almost all fail the basic tests applied to helmets ten years ago. The "Gold Standard" used to be the Snell B95 - there are NO helmets currently manufactured that pass this standard.

If we are serious about helmets as protection - why are we allowing such inferior products unless we are placing cosmetics above efficiency?

It's more problematic than than though, you wear a well ventilated lid if I recall correctly, why? Because with a less ventilated one you sweat to much and that causes its own problems like sweat in the eyes. Lets face it cycle helmet design has left the helmet as a placebo for the "must haves".

Batzman

I wear a helmet. I've seen smashed helmets after a crash (and the person who crashed got up and walked away -- albeit with a broken collar bone) and I'd much rather have that impact be taken by the helmet than my head. I think there's always a slight risk of being knocked off by some idiot in an SUV, so it's worth wearing one, I think.

Jaded

Batzman said:
I think there's always a slight risk of being knocked off by some idiot in an SUV, so it's worth wearing one, I think.

I agree, in fact I'm wearing one in bed now, in case the wind blows the chimney down.

hackbike 6 said:
I haven't got a problem with that although I didn't wear one for twenty five years and now do.

Now I am on three wheels a sit closer to the ground I see little point, helmet design seems to be based around low speed spills and you have to be really cracking on to fall over (flip) on a tadpole trike, as I say I stick the Briko Twinner on on the wintery days to keep the bonce warm and for extra visibility at night etc.. but summer day rides don't see me wearing it.

betty swollocks

large member
I was once cycling past a golf course with my helmet on. An errant golf ball ricochetted off my helmet and went off into the rough. Of course I didn't know this at the time, I just felt a bang.
I t was only when two golfers ran up to me when I had the helmet off and was examining it (some laminate had been chipped off), that I realised what had happened.
One of them was profuse in his apologies and remarked on how lucky it was that I was wearing my helmet. On the contrary I said. Without my helmet probably the ball would have missed.

Top Bottom