Boris says he'll....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
I have a regular problem with bad riders swerving into the bus lane to pass traffic on the inside

If they were allowed in they wouldn't have to swerve, so this wouldn't be a problem......

Cab

zimzum42 said:
If they were allowed in they wouldn't have to swerve, so this wouldn't be a problem......

What, because they'd never be swerving from one lane into another one they're allowed into without correctly making sure that no traffic is coming?

Bus lanes are the only road spaces free of cars that are wide enough to be useful to cyclists. As most cycle lanes are woefully inadequate, bus lanes provide a (relatively) traffic free cycle expressway. The more motorised vehicles in there, the less useful they are to us. To be honest I see no defense even for taxis to use them.

Funnily enough I don’t have such an issue with grown up motorbikes, their riders are normally a bit more experienced, it’s the thought of dozens of clueless scooter riders battling for position in a bus lane because the other lane is nose to tail with cars that worries me. We all know the standard of riding from these muppets on their hair driers, they either think they’re Vanentino Rossi or can barely ride the thing in a straight line.

Personally I’d restrict them all to 15mph and handout fixed prison sentence to anyone riding one wearing a Lucky Strike jacket.

spindrift

(Metronet aside)

Not down to ken, he even predicted the collapse but Brown forced it through against all advice.

jashburnham

Ah - should have known, bloody Gordon Brown. I was wondering the other day, if Scotland became independent while he was PM - would he have to step down? Extremely hypothetical I know!

domtyler

Über Member
I'd love to find the study that showed that collisions between motorbikes and cyclists went down when they were allowed into bus lanes! :smile:

Living and commuting in a busy metropolis, one cannot really expect to have the roads to ourselves can we? Sharing is the only option available. If I could vote to get motorbikes in and Cabs out I would do it in a flash.

PrettyboyTim

To be honest I think allowing motorcycles in bus lanes makes more sense than allowing bicycles in. Motorcycles are a lot less likely to delay a bus than a bicycle is.

What does it matter about a bus half the time anyway?

They normally get stuck in traffic and if not I try and get out of the way.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
That wouldn't be a bad comprimise, let them in, but restrict their speed......

Would no doubt be a money spinner for the govt. too!

domtyler

Über Member
I'm sorry but 15mph? I cycle at a much faster rate then that so would end up getting stuck behind them the whole time. The current thirty mile an hour limit should be enforced, that's all.

domtyler said:
I'm sorry but 15mph? I cycle at a much faster rate then that so would end up getting stuck behind them the whole time. The current thirty mile an hour limit should be enforced, that's all.

That's the whole point, when you buzz past them they'd be squirming with embarrassment - serve them right. We'd just have to make sure that they couldn't ride a grown up's motorbike until they'd served a proper apprenticeship on scooters first..... Say about 15 years.

Cab

domtyler said:
I'd love to find the study that showed that collisions between motorbikes and cyclists went down when they were allowed into bus lanes! :smile:

Living and commuting in a busy metropolis, one cannot really expect to have the roads to ourselves can we? Sharing is the only option available. If I could vote to get motorbikes in and Cabs out I would do it in a flash.

The question really is whether regulation of road space to encourage the 'right' kind of road user is a good idea. Good, wide bus and cycle lanes do that, but only really if they're not Taxi and motorbike expressways.

Cab

domtyler said:

Often as not I seem to get stuck behind mopeds anyway. At least if they were stuck at 15mph then overtaking them would be easier :smile:

Top Bottom