borrowed a "toy" bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
well, my old cr*ppy MTB finally gave up the ghost the other night!, and i have borrowed a raleigh dual suspension "toy" bike to use untill my new dawes discovery gets delivered on monday.

Firstly- why do you get these cheap bikes with dual suspension anyway?- my old MTB had just front suspension- and that was bad enough, I mean if anyone seriously wants a off road bike with suspension, surely they will buy a dearer model, maybe one thats meant to be for riding on, well, MOUNTAINS!!. The majority of these things are just ridden about the town, and i see loads of them!.

First thing i did is to stiffen up the back as much as it would go- and it still feels like theres pogo stick connected to each of the wheels!- DREADFUL!!!- My old bike only cost me 15 pound three years ago second hand, i didnt expect much (was a carrera mirage) but hey, even that was MUCH better than this!!. Well, shouldnt be for long. and seeing as i dont drive, i"ll have to put up with it!, and just moan to loads of people about it!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Just think how much better your new bike will feel by comparision. And that some poor souls spend their lives riding naff bikes and never understanding there is anything better:biggrin:.

OP
OP
dantheman

dantheman

Veteran
I will say that i dont know a lot about bikes (certainly in comparison to most of you), but Ive been looking through some old threads and have stumbled across bicycletutor, so i think ill have a go at setting the gears up properly (ie so that they all work!). at least when he gets it back it will be a bit better (even if still cr*ppy)- I cant make it any worse after all, and Im at work tonight, so ill be getting paid to do it:smile: - as i am to post this:smile:

Keith Oates

Janner
IMO unless you're going to do some serious off road riding in very 'lumpy' areas there is no need to ever use a dual suspension bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
dantheman

dantheman

Veteran
IT AINT "WICKID", IT AINT "bear"- but at least now, the suspension is tighter, the gear and the brakes actually work!!- i think he should pay me to have borrowed it,.. anyway, new bike arrives today, so hopefully it be setting that up later for ride to work tomorrow. im only at work monday and tuesday, so i think ill try to get a little riding im to get used to it this week!- nice..

Tynan

Veteran
I fingered some £300 MTBs in the LBS for some Epping Forest action last week, chap made a rude noise about dual suspension for anything other than seriously full on crazeeness, even banned a suspension seatpost

it's joke really that cheap bikes that already have too little budget for components are then spunking money on suspension

jashburnham

They weigh a tonne too, my boss bought 2 of them for his twins (8 year olds) the other day - £99 jobbies from decathalon I think. They weigh more than his Gary Fisher Wingra and about 10 times more than my singlespeed... he reckoned it was almost imposs to find anything for the money that wasn't a full susser - but then he rides a Wingra so what does he know eh?

Top Bottom