Bottle cleaning on tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Before filling from a tap I always rinse out and squirt out. I carry puritabs for dodgy hotel water and they double up as bottle cleaning tabs. They are like dilute bleach in tablet form and make the water taste like swimming pool water.

Simon_m

Guru
Must say i don't understand chucking away perfecty good bottles.
Is this some sort of family ceremony?
Do you smash all your plates?
See, I don't think they are perfectly fine. Same as having a complete bike strip each each year. Might seem perfectly fine, but a good checkup and clean does it good. Plus bottles are so cheap now, i don't see the point. No chance risking the squirts while out on bike.

Tom B

Guru
Cheap to whom? Not environment one would imagine.

Your new bottles could be contaminated with the same squits bugs the first time you go down the garden path with them.

As in the pictures above mine are 5 or so years old.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Sorry to bring up an old (ish) thread but I have something to say on this.
In my younger days I was puking my guts up after some rides. It turned out I'd found little black bits of mould in my bottles and once I got them clean, I was OK. It was the glucose powder I'd added going off as I wasn't too particular about keeping the bottles clean.
Numerous years of very thorough cleaning after each ride followed.
A couple years ago I read a thread about what folk do when it's early morning and chucking down on the campsite and the inevitable 4am need to pee happens. A regular here suggested using a water bottle and then rinsing in the morning, which I found to be a disgusting thing to do. No ill effects from doing that were reported from the writer though.
I had that dilemma the other week. Early morning, raining stair rods, toilets were closed anyway. What to do? I pondered this question for a good hour or so. Was it sanitary? Probably not. Was I desperate? Damn right I was.
And so the water bottle was used as a urinal. Next morning, gave it a bloody good wash with boiling water and soap and used it for drinking during the next 2-3 days. No ill effects.
Those same bottles are 2 years old and still perfectly fine. Look after them and they'll look after you but they don't need boiling in acid. Bit of a rinse with soapy water and you'll live 😊

Top Bottom