Bottle saved but rear light gone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There i was flying down the hill at 27mph when i hit the unsigned roadworks trench. The bottle flew out of the cage and the rear light flew off as well! When these things happen i tend to do a stop asap rather than an emergency one as my safety is more important than a bottle. Anyway, i turned round to retrieve if possible the lost items, and as usual you watch oncoming cars pass the things by inches, then it happens! It's always the third car that hits it! Luckily my bottle was full so it broke the crush although it took some reshaping, but unfortunately as i went to retrieve the rear light a car came from the side road and went right over it!:ohmy:

Keith Oates

Janner
Bad luck in losing the light and damaging the bottle but the good news is that you stayed on the bike after hitting the trench. If you had come off doing that speed you could have ended up with some serious bodily damage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes in the days when I used handlebar mounts for my bottles, I'm 61, I hit a huge bump under some trees on a fast descent. The bottles rose in their cages, and continued to rise above the cages before slowly, or so it seemed, they moved towards me and bounced of my hips. One went right and was never seen again, the other went left and tumbled down the edge of the road before sliding slowly to a stop, just under my left foot as I stopped the bike. You'll have no surprise in hearing I put my foot down on it and it slid out from under me as I toppled gracefully onto the grass at the side of the road.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
These things can be replaced, would've been much worse if you'd come off and been hit!
That's why i applied the stop asap technique rather than a hit the brakes and close eyes one. The trench was unsigned/marked though, and about 5 inches deep, though it was curved not a straight drop which probably saved me from coming off. No thanks to British Gas though!!:dry:

I've just come back from the Bolton Skyride and I lost a bottle mid lap.

I didn't even realise as they are mounted behind the saddle on my fixed bike. I never heard anything, but with the volume of people I did think someone would have shouted, but they didn't :cursing:

Anyhoo, I found it next lap and all was well. Saved me shelling out for a new Camelbak Podium :thumbsup:

Sorry about your light AC :sad:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just come back from the Bolton Skyride and I lost a bottle mid lap.

I didn't even realise as they are mounted behind the saddle on my fixed bike. I never heard anything, but with the volume of people I did think someone would have shouted, but they didn't :cursing:

Anyhoo, I found it next lap and all was well. Saved me shelling out for a new Camelbak Podium :thumbsup:

Sorry about your light AC :sad:

Thanks!:thumbsup: It wasn't too bad as it only cost £2.50(reduced from a fiver)but it's the inconvenience of it all. Last night i had to walk to the pub as the light was crushed after my LBS had shut, so i couldn't buy a replacement.:cry:

I know what you mean. I also noticed when I got back one the screws and nuts had dropped out of one of the stays on the rear Crud Road Racer as well, and it was hanging down :cursing:

So I've just swapped them all over for cable ties, that won't happen again :thumbsup:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I'd put in a complaint to British Gas about that one.. you were lucky not to have burst your inner tubes, and as for the bike..!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's a bugger when that happens. Lost a smart and a cateye that way. Now you don't half panic when a Garmin does that - lost my 705 once in traffic - I just stopped and legged it back for it. The cars 'had' to stop !!! Only happened once - dirt in the catch !

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Definitely report it to British Gas and on http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/ , not so much for the minimal damage you suffered (thankfully) but the next rider to hit it may have a serious off. If that does happen and it's already been logged as a road defect it'll make it harder for the responsible body to deny liability.

GC

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Definitely report it to British Gas and on http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/ , not so much for the minimal damage you suffered (thankfully) but the next rider to hit it may have a serious off. If that does happen and it's already been logged as a road defect it'll make it harder for the responsible body to deny liability.

GC
Thanks, i've filled the CTC form in but it keeps going back to the 1st page when click "next".

Top Bottom