Bottled V canned Beer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Uncle Mort said:
That's very strong beer isn't it? De Molen make some interesting brews - I've never tried this one.

If I've tried that one I can't remember a thing about it, hic! :biggrin:

U

User169

Rhythm Thief said:
Nice. As it's got a cork, rather than a crown cap, I'd lay that on its side to store it. This should prevent the cork from drying out. It will mean that the yeast is deposited on the side of the bottle rather than the base, so you'll need to be careful when pouring it in <cough> twenty five years.:biggrin:

I wondered about that - I've got them standing up at the moment, but I'll put them on their side.

Bayerd

Über Member
I prefer bottles, they're much easier to refill and seal home brew in than cans....

Also, the stronger the beer, the longer it will last in a sealed bottle before going off. Session strength home brew seems to be best about 6-8 weeks after bottling. I've just bottled a 6.5%er that I'm intending will make a great winter beer. Trouble is keeping it in the bottle for that long:tongue:

dodgy

toekneep said:
Bottled, poured quickly to get rid of the gas. Ignore all those people saying, "Ooh you've made a right mess of that haven't you?"

You're the only other person I know apart from me that does that!

dodgy

Globalti said:
Not at all a rip-off. My local Booths has bottles at around £1.50 a pint and every week there's something on promotion at £1.00 a pint.

I was up in the Lakes recently and did make a pig of myself with the massive selection of real ales at a £1 a bottle in the Windermere Booths, good value. Back home it's more like £1.60 or so so I don't bothere.
I really don't think these bottled real ales are all they're cracked up to be anyway, they're a very distant poor relation to a decent pint of hand pulled ale in the pub. I sometimes get a carry out from my local, they're happy to fill a sterilised milk carton of 4 pints or so for me (just like the Black Bull in Coniston does!).
Also, imho, there is nothing wrong with an ice cold Bud in a cold glass on a hot day. Certainly no worse than any other 'lager' anyway. And you can currently buy 2 X 15 bottle (300ml) cases of it for £16 in Tesco, at 53p a 300ml bottle, it's easily worth it for the quallity on offer.

U

User169

Uncle Mort said:
That's very strong beer isn't it? De Molen make some interesting brews - I've never tried this one.

It's a 15% behemoth!

De Molen is currently my favourite brewer. It's only about 40km from here, so I can cycle over there, have a couple of drinks and then wobble home!

Top Bottom