Bottles or tins?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it not just that bottled is from brewery x, and tinned is from brewery y, both breweries with different water and plant? Just like Doombar on draught is so different to Doombar in bottles, mainly as one is Cornish and the other from further oop North (Burton on Trent?).

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've always been that way minded, but recently I've come across an exception: Brewdog Punk IPA, which, uniquely, seems somehow to escape the curse of the can. Having said which, nothing bottled or tinned matches a good draught pint.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The only tinned beer i tend to buy is Old Speckled Hen and that's when there's not much choice in the bottled stuff on the shelves. My 'beer connoisseur' friends insist that even bottled beer isn't 'real ale' as it contains chemicals to preserve it. If that's true then it must be a tiny amount,as unlike stuff like John Smith's Smooth:ohmy: i don't get that chemical taste after about 10 or 15 bottles of the stuff.
Some of the best 'Real Ales' are only sold in bottles, a good example being 'Worthington White Shield' which is 'bottle conditioned' meaning the beer is live (not pasteurised) when it is bottled so the yeast is still in there. You do need to pour it properly though or you end up with 'bits' in the beer.

I hope you all realise that hand-pulled draught ale comes from a steel can. A large one in the basement. I know a woman who is a beer taster for Heineken. Yup, that's right, thw world's best job. Anyway, we did a blind taste can vs bottle test with her. She could not taste the difference by accurately separating a dozen can/bottle samples.
Just drink your beer, stop fussing where it came from.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
I strongly believe beer tastes better from bottle due to its shape. As you drink it the bubbles concentrate in the neck of the bottle and once in the mouth all explode at the same time:laugh::laugh::laugh: no difference AFAIK if you pour the beer into a glass

Drago

Legendary Member
Fortunately Accy, your friends are talking out their backsides. The ingredients of most beers are mercifully free from additives, natural or otherwise. A typical ingredient list on the side of a can will read "water, barley/hop extract, yeast."

I bree my own beer and always drink it from a glass. Cans are uncouth.

Venod

Eh up
I prefer real beer from bottles and some lagers too, but I find Carlsberg Export and Holsten Pils very drinkable from cans.

Fortunately Accy, your friends are talking out their backsides. The ingredients of most beers are mercifully free from additives, natural or otherwise. A typical ingredient list on the side of a can will read "water, barley/hop extract, yeast."

I bree my own beer and always drink it from a glass. Cans are uncouth.
Thanks for the reassurance.
Whereas the vast majority of wines contain sulphites.
Beer is a healthfood compared to much of the manufactured crap many brits fill their trolleys with.

Top Bottom