Bottles or tins?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I virtually always buy beer in glass bottles. I cannot explain why but it always tastes better in a bottle.

I was in the supermarket this evening and they were sold out of the beer I wanted in bottles so I bought a few tins of it. I have no idea why but it tastes like a tasteless watered down version of the glass bottle version. I don't know why that should be but it has always been my experience which is why I am happy to pay a bit extra to buy the bottles.

I guess if all you want to do is purely to get drunk, then you may as well buy the huge multipack of Dutch Gold, Tennent's or whatever but if you want want to just enjoy a nice beer I think you need to buy it in a bottle.

Am I alone in thinking this?

Globalti

Legendary Member
No. I hate canned beer, it always tastes metallic. I seem to remember this is because dissolved CO2 forms a weak carbonic acid, which picks up a metallic taint from the can. Any chemists around who can confirm this?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I always avoided beer in tins for the same reason, but in the last few years the tins are better and now I don’t mind, although I have to drink out of a glass.

Adam4868

Guru
Bottles,tins are for Coronation Street.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Modern cans are polythene lined, so the beer never comes into contact with metal after the brewing process.

Agree that bottled is better though.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The only tinned beer i tend to buy is Old Speckled Hen and that's when there's not much choice in the bottled stuff on the shelves. My 'beer connoisseur' friends insist that even bottled beer isn't 'real ale' as it contains chemicals to preserve it. If that's true then it must be a tiny amount,as unlike stuff like John Smith's Smooth:ohmy: i don't get that chemical taste after about 10 or 15 bottles of the stuff.

Top Bottom