Bottom BB sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianco

Hi guys

Bought a new crankset, and a new BB.

Guy at chain reaction sarcastically informed me I needed a 109mm spindle length. The sarcasm indicated it could be any other fit.

The chain rubs the outer chainring on the highest 2 gears, should I get a 113mm spindle length to compensate?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They all do that, John.

The chain is running out of line when you are on the smallest ring and the smaller sprockets, it is not a combination that you should use. In any case you will be able to get near enough to those ratios with the big ring and a couple of the larger sprockets.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Pretty sure octalinks only come in 2 lengths - one for a double and one for a triple.
Maybe the BB on your last crankset was a bit too long? Little ring / little sprocket combinations are always bad, and always avoidable, like Smokin Joe said.

Monty Dog

There is only one Octalink BB length for a double - 109mm. Chainrub is a common affliction of modern drivetrains - if you find you need to be in the smaller sprockets, shift to the big chainring.

OP
OP
B

bianco

Cheers Monty Dog, a little annoying thats all.

I used to be able to use all sprockets on either chainring, must be something I need to get used to!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing to worry about - I can't use the bottom two sprockets when in my small chain ring, plus, as had been said, the chain is running at a poor angle.

Top Bottom