Bottom bracket or something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex1982

Hi guys

I have recently got new bearings put in my rear wheel so I am discounting that as a potential problem and focusing on the B.B.

The last couple of rides I have done on my cercelo S2 have been tough, I feel as though I’m putting way more power down that is being generated. 200w feels like 400

The bike is almost 2 years old and has never been serviced it’s only has repair work done and re-cabling

Would a worn out B.B. make my pedalling a lot more strained or could it be another component

Cassette and chain have been cleaned and lubed

Hi guys

I have recently got new bearings put in my rear wheel so I am discounting that as a potential problem and focusing on the B.B.

The last couple of rides I have done on my cercelo S2 have been tough, I feel as though I’m putting way more power down that is being generated. 200w feels like 400

The bike is almost 2 years old and has never been serviced it’s only has repair work done and re-cabling

Would a worn out B.B. make my pedalling a lot more strained or could it be another component

Cassette and chain have been cleaned and lubed

The B.B. is the last thing I’d suspect in this case. I’d be more inclined to look at the engine.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Racing roadkill said:
The B.B. is the last thing I’d suspect in this case. .

I wouldn't discount it out of hand. I've got a skip salvage bike where the BB had almost seized and it took serious effort just to turn the cranks even with the chain off! The feel and sound was like a giant peppercorn grinder! It may well be the reason the bike got binned in the first place. Neglected lubrication and ingress of the elements can make a BB incredibly stiff and rough.

pclay

Veteran
Do you have a power meter to be able to determine that you are outputting 200W? Have you checked that brakes aren't rubbing and your tyre pressure?

OP
OP
A

Alex1982

For that reason my first port of call would be the rear wheel. Quite possible they have been over tightened.

How do I check that?

adamhearn

Veteran
Binding (wheel against chainstays or brakes). As above - check each part of the drivetrain spins freely by itself.

I'm going to sound rude but I don't think you should be taking parts of the bike and washing using "the machine" when you cannot diagnose what should be a simple problem and/or work out if you've overtightened bearings.

OP
OP
A

Alex1982

Binding (wheel against chainstays or brakes). As above - check each part of the drivetrain spins freely by itself.

I'm going to sound rude but I don't think you should be taking parts of the bike and washing using "the machine" when you cannot diagnose what should be a simple problem and/or work out if you've overtightened bearings.

Taking the cassette and chain off is easy and putting them in my ultrasonic cleaner - Dont it before

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Taking the cassette and chain off is easy and putting them in my ultrasonic cleaner - Dont it before

Why though - you are just making a job for nothing. It won't be those that cause the issue. To be frank, the best way to clean a chain is with an oily rag, the same for the cassette - squirt of GT85 on cassette, and run the rag (usually an old cotton t-shirt) through the sprocket.

There isn't enough friction in a chain to cause an issue. If your wheels and cranks spin OK, then it's the engine (i.e. you)

Top Bottom