Bottom bracket removal challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Brompton owners know your pain. The trick with the FAG is to bolt the tool in place using a crankbolt and a suitable spacer (I found a brass 1/2" toilet inlet adaptor that fitted over the spindle). Then pray a lot.

The FAG tool is almost designed to cam out and chew up the cup, given half a chance.

OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
Brompton owners know your pain. The trick with the FAG is to bolt the tool in place using a crankbolt and a suitable spacer (I found a brass 1/2" toilet inlet adaptor that fitted over the spindle). Then pray a lot.

The FAG tool is almost designed to cam out and chew up the cup, given half a chance.
Yes, I did the retainer trick with a big washer and crankbolt, but the plastic splines ripped out anyway, both sides. I actually thought I had won, but it just stripped the splines. I have since spent several hours with a soldering iron, and removed all the plastic I can with that. Still no go, because I have the iron between the frame and the bearing shell, so they are heat sinking everything I put in. I'm working up courage to get a flame on it, hopefully with VERY gentle heating I can get that whole corner of the bike up to ~200C without overheating any ally bits, at that point the plastic will melt and I can just smack out the steel innards. Once they are out I can winkle out the remaining bits of plastic without damaging the threads. Fingers crossed...

GuyBoden

Guru
Yes, I did the retainer trick with a big washer and crankbolt, but the plastic splines ripped out anyway, both sides. I actually thought I had won, but it just stripped the splines. I have since spent several hours with a soldering iron, and removed all the plastic I can with that. Still no go, because I have the iron between the frame and the bearing shell, so they are heat sinking everything I put in. I'm working up courage to get a flame on it, hopefully with VERY gentle heating I can get that whole corner of the bike up to ~200C without overheating any ally bits, at that point the plastic will melt and I can just smack out the steel innards. Once they are out I can winkle out the remaining bits of plastic without damaging the threads. Fingers crossed...
I removed most of the plastic from both cup sides, it was then easier to remove the BB with a gentle tap with a hammer and screwdriver/chisel.

These Kinex BB from Slovakia were a good quality component with good bearings in their day, but the plastic cups were a bad idea.

GuyBoden

Guru
Problem was, the correct tool was/is quite expensive £70, for a one off job.

https://www.bikester.co.uk/cyclus-t...fmegakinex-plastickks-silverblue-1441980.html

_FAG_Ofmega_Kinex_Plastic_KKS_blau_silber[640x480].jpg

• Wow
Reactions: C R
OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
You love it, really :-)
when I win, yes. When I lose, no.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom