Bottom bracket removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SSmatty

any tips for removing the BB cups from an old frame?
I've got the left side out ok, but the right side seems stuck fast.
It has 1 1/2 inch flats on the cup, so I bought I wide jaw adjustable spanner, but that just slips.
I wonder if a proper 1 1/2 inch open ended would work or even clamp the flats in a bench vice and turn the frame.
I am cautious about heating the BB shell unless I really have to.

Advice please.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
you do know one side unscrews the "wrong" way don't you ?

any tips for removing the BB cups from an old frame?
I've got the left side out ok, but the right side seems stuck fast.
It has 1 1/2 inch flats on the cup, so I bought I wide jaw adjustable spanner, but that just slips.
I wonder if a proper 1 1/2 inch open ended would work or even clamp the flats in a bench vice and turn the frame.
I am cautious about heating the BB shell unless I really have to.

Advice please.
There is a special spanner for that job. Don't graunch it with a standard spanner that fits. The special one does not have an open end and helps to secure it. Then, once you have the spanner, don't rely entirely on it to hold the grip. The flats on the BB are so narrow that the slightest out-of-alignment or slip will make the spanner disengage. This damages the spanner and the BB.

What you have to do is rig a set of washers and bolts so that the spanner is bolted onto the BB. You rig this up by using the crank bolt and a bunch of spacers and stuff. As soon as the BB moves, you remove all of this because the BB needs space to unscrew.

OP
OP
SSmatty

SSmatty

Where will I get one of those spanners?

Or is it a job for the lbs?

Where will I get one of those spanners?

Or is it a job for the lbs?
It is a special bike tool and going out of style thanks to modern external cup BBs. Check with your shop.

If you have not yet damaged the flats, you can use a good quality open spanner but still try and bolt it to the workpiece.

31fakawy3QL._SY300_.jpg

Chisel it out. I used a ratchet wrench with a flat head screwdriver socket attatched and a hammer, last time this happened to me . It looked, and sounded a bit brutal, but it worked.

Top Bottom