Bottom bracket removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
I'm trying to get a Truvativ power spline BB out to replace it but I can't for the life off me get it undone.
I'm using a Park Tools
BBT-22, with an adjustable wrench. And am attempting to go anticlockwise on the non drive side and clockwise on the drive side. The BB axle is not hollow so I can't attatch the tool using my hub skewer as the Park website recommends. Any other way to attatch it as the connection is very thin.
Am I doing something wrong or do I just need more force? I've never gone near a BB before...

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You're going the wrong way :wacko:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
maybe you're not !

non-drive side first, undoes like this
bb04.jpg

I have in the past laid the bike down on the floor and leaned on the socket/tool so it engages with the teeth, and then twisted the socket/tool with all my weight on it. This does work, but you may have to put a few rags underneath the BB on the floor side. Occasionally a tap with a hammer on the socket/tool tightening the BB can loosen the seal and give it enough to make it come undone.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Cheers for the advice. I've finally got it (I was going the right way). I found a socket wrench that fits in the end of the BB tool and used some old handlebars for extra leverage. Relief! I was starting to get angry there:blush:

Top Bottom