1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bottom bracket removal

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Joe, 13 Jan 2008.

1. Joe

Joe Über Member

I'm trying to get a Truvativ power spline BB out to replace it but I can't for the life off me get it undone.
    I'm using a Park Tools
    BBT-22, with an adjustable wrench. And am attempting to go anticlockwise on the non drive side and clockwise on the drive side. The BB axle is not hollow so I can't attatch the tool using my hub skewer as the Park website recommends. Any other way to attatch it as the connection is very thin.
    Am I doing something wrong or do I just need more force? I've never gone near a BB before...

2. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

You're going the wrong way :wacko:

3. Steve Austin

maybe you're not !

non-drive side first, undoes like this
    [​IMG]
    I have in the past laid the bike down on the floor and leaned on the socket/tool so it engages with the teeth, and then twisted the socket/tool with all my weight on it. This does work, but you may have to put a few rags underneath the BB on the floor side. Occasionally a tap with a hammer on the socket/tool tightening the BB can loosen the seal and give it enough to make it come undone.

4. Steve Austin

drive side is like this btw
    [​IMG]

*UNLESS its a italian BB

5. girofan

girofan New Member

Is it an Italian frame Joe?

6. OP
    OP
    Joe

Joe Über Member

Cheers for the advice. I've finally got it (I was going the right way). I found a socket wrench that fits in the end of the BB tool and used some old handlebars for extra leverage. Relief! I was starting to get angry there:blush: