bottom bracket repaced after 6 weeks!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trevrev

Veteran
My Trek 7.1 bottom bracket lasted 7 months...Real cheapo piece of sh*t it was too !!!
Ok, i do 80 miles a week on it, but i still think it's crap for a component to go that quick.

jpembroke

we need a poll on which type of common BB we find most durable: square taper, octalink, ISIS, external bearing. Reckon square taper would win.

ASC1951

Guru
jasonmccullum said:
i have started to get creaking from the bike whenever i stood up on the pedal and pushed hard.

took it to the LBS where i got it from and have been told the BB has gone and needs to be replaced .....
If it still does it when you get it back, there is another possibility. Occasionally when I re-assemble my bike at the other end of a flight, I don't do the pinch bolts on the headset up quite tight enough - that produces a creak which only appears when I am stood up holding the hoods and stomping on the pedals.

dodgy

jasonmccullum said:
is this usual.

bought the bike 6 weeks ago, and this week i have started to get creaking from the bike whenever i stood up on the pedal and pushed hard.

took it to the LBS where i got it from and have been told the BB has gone and needs to be replaced under warranty

How long should a BB last???

The amount of times you see this posted on forums amazes me. Scenario goes like this:

1. Guy buys bike from shop, takes it home.
2. Guy rides bike for a few weeks
3. Bike develops a creak somewhere
4. Guy takes bike to shop and after a visual inspection (or taking the word of the rider) the shop says "it needs a new bottom bracket"

Bikes nearly always generate creaks and clicks after a while, it just takes a little spannering to make it go and hardly ever requires new components.

With some low-rent bottom brackets, you can feel the axle turning against a very tight notchy resistance. It's like all the ball bearings are clamped too tightly within the bearing race. Or the ball bearings themselves are irregular sizes, maybe non-round. So perhaps occasionally this tightness just leads to a destructive grinding of the relevant surfaces... and hey presto, a real gritty bitty mess. An innevitable quick wearing out. With mass-produced cheap bottom brackets being spat out from whatever machines are used, probably the odd one or twenty two are doomed to failure. Ces't la vie.

OP
OP
jasonmccullum

jasonmccullum

Über Member
the LBS took the bike out for a ride and they are the ones who told me the BB had gone, they removed it and that bearings had some cracks in them (Aparently)

Top Bottom