Bottom bracket tool retaining bolt.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Have just removed /replaced the bottom bracket (square taper) on my touring bike purely to grease the threads.

Watched a few utube type how to do it videos,some advocate the use of a bolt through the middle of the removal tool screwed into the spindle thread to retain the tool.

This makes sense in that it stops the tool slipping but it must also put a lot of pulling force on the end of the spindle ,is this wise?

I didnt need one as the retainer/bracket wound out easilly enough.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
it's a bit of an in extremis measure imo, for when the bb is shot, stuck and you won't be reusing it. I think if you grease the threads with anti-seize when it goes in you'll not ever have to re-grease them again ime, anti-sieze just doesn't seem to dry out in the same way greases do.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you are a bit ham fisted, then it's a good dea, but I've never bothered. Just hold the tool in place with one hand, other hand on big spanner, and turn. If it's seized then that's another story. Copper slip the threads

Tim Hall

I use one all the time. Must be ham fisted I guess. It's not done up way tight (although no torque wrenches are employed either (insert appropriate yellow face thing)), just snug enough to keep the tool located on the BB while I give it welly. My BB tool requires a washer to stop said bolt pulling through the hole, IYSWIM.

Greg, I don't understand the bit about not reusing it. As the BB cup loosens, keep an eye on the retaining bolt and loosen it too, to stop the BB tool loading the retaining bolt.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
OK thanks for the replies. All stripped cleaned copper slipped and refitted. Will bear in mind the tips incase I get a difficult one in future.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I use one all the time. Must be ham fisted I guess. It's not done up way tight (although no torque wrenches are employed either (insert appropriate yellow face thing)), just snug enough to keep the tool located on the BB while I give it welly. My BB tool requires a washer to stop said bolt pulling through the hole, IYSWIM.

Greg, I don't understand the bit about not reusing it. As the BB cup loosens, keep an eye on the retaining bolt and loosen it too, to stop the BB tool loading the retaining bolt.

sorry, I wasn't clear. I've never needed to use a bolt on a bb I was reusing, if I'm taking a bb out it is either a new bike and it comes off easy, or a shot bb on an old bike and it don't.

Top Bottom