Bottom bracket tools and tightening procedure..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
:notworthy: 11 speed, right? 2-3% of what?

I wonder why people don't do this as a matter of course? Any ideas? Have you?
Personally i fit new bearings (better quality bearings and with better seals) into a BB rather than just replace when a bearing is worn, but its more time consuming, so think for most its either quicker just to replace the BB or if they leave it into a LBs then unless they are prepared to pay more for labour then a new BB is the cost effective option?

Some express chain wear as a percentage and others as a mm? Lots on utube express chain wear as a % only my view but think most wear tools measure as a mm but again on utube its said as a %? no idea if its the same as a % Interesting.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/how-to-know-when-its-time-to-replace-your-bicycle-chain/

Last edited:
Can you be a little more specific so I can understand this as I too need a wrench or socket
So is the plastic coating on the face of spa cycles shimano adaptor and not on the park wrench

The Shimano adaptor is made of some kind of plastic and fits inside the metal of the Park Tools, converting it from the original Hollowtech specification to the Hollowtech II one. So it's the adaptor which contacts the BB cups, not the metal. The small wheel on the Park Tools tool is the preload tool for the left hand crank.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Some express chain wear as a percentage and others as a mm? Lots on utube express chain wear as a % only my view but think most wear tools measure as a mm but again on utube its said as a %?
From your link, David
"It’s often stated that a worn chain is when it reaches one percent growth from the original 0.5in (12.7mm) pitch."
and
"So therefore anything past 12, 1/16 inches (0.5 percent) would be the time to replace a chain. And anything past 12, 1/8inches (one percent) has been worn to death and so a new cassette is likely needed."
But I see what you mean about managing to confuse something which is straight forward.
A 'tool' can only measure a distance by proxy: in this case the 0.75% 'tooth' drops through showing that the 5 links: 5" (127mm) has increased to (at least)128mm. I hoped surprise would be inferred when @wafter said their chain was 2-3% elongated "I reckon my chain's only at about 2-3% wear so I'm expecting 4-5k from it" and I'd expected them to have experienced slipping on the cassette well before now.

I am running on my current (9 speed) cassette and chain together (currently @ ~4700km), rather than replacing the chain when it gets to 0.6% and getting 3 chains to one cassette. But the latter routine is far more economic with 10sp and particularly 11sp cassettes.

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
Well said Ajax, Agree with every thing and like your self like to replace cassette with every third chain, my only problem is if i loose my records as i have lots of bikes and then perhaps replace a cassette to early.

Tbh was surprised when @wafter said their chain was 2-3% elongated? But then thought maybe he meant 2-3% of what it could be allowed but again dont know how that could be measured or even guessed at with any accuracy? But know if i seen one of my bikes with a chain was actually 2% worn either i would be having a nightmare or need a urgent appointment with the opticians.

Top Bottom