Bottom bracket tools and tightening procedure..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

faster

Über Member
I think for the sake of a tenner or so replace them but you can renew just the bearings if you’re really hard core :smile::

View: https://youtu.be/Abd4M0VQfJo

I thought about doing this before I realised how cheap replacements were.

It's completely pointless.

The bearings are a non-standard size (I think 1mm too narrow) and even if you could find them, they would likely be much more expensive than just buying a new Shimano BB. Whilst I'm sure you could modify the cup/spacer to take standard bearings, it's just not worth it when good quality standard bearings cost about as much as just buying the whole BB.

davidphilips

Veteran
Suck it up. Seems to be quite typical IME. Left cup always fails first, i have a draw full of useable used RH cups.....
Maybe change over the bearings from some of your R/h cups to L/h side along with some fresh grease?

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Certainly whip the cups off, coppa slip the threads, back on tight, and then use grease on the bearings. Any will do, but one that withstands water - CV joint should be fine.
Ta - sounds good. Looks like the search is on for tools now!

I think for the sake of a tenner or so replace them but you can renew just the bearings if you’re really hard core :smile::

Thanks - didn't think of warming them up (I have no press but do have a torch!) although if as @faster says they're a queer size there's probably not a whole lot of point :sad:

Mr Celine

Discordian
My first HT2 BB lasted less than 4000 miles before the left cup started sounding like a bag of spanners. @Yellow Saddle did explain once why the non-drive side wears out first.
Its replacement was a slight upgrade in that it is Ultegra, cost about £5 more and weighed all of 10g less. Seems to have been worth the money as it's still going strong after more than 16000 miles.
I have a spanner type removal tool which is rubbish, the socket type would probably be better.
I always screw the preload screw in finger tight with the plastic tool.

Thanks for that - educational - I do have one bike with external bearings (few miles so not really touched yet) and have heard that it is wise to at least pop the outer seals off and insert more grease. It was shocking how little grease was in there - no idea why Shimano do (or rather don't) this - their hubs tend to be sparse on grease as well.
2 questions re the vid.
1: Where's the part where he puts it all back together?
2: What size are the ball bearings in his eye sockets?

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

My first HT2 BB lasted less than 4000 miles before the left cup started sounding like a bag of spanners. @Yellow Saddle did explain once why the non-drive side wears out first.
Its replacement was a slight upgrade in that it is Ultegra, cost about £5 more and weighed all of 10g less. Seems to have been worth the money as it's still going strong after more than 16000 miles.
I have a spanner type removal tool which is rubbish, the socket type would probably be better.
I always screw the preload screw in finger tight with the plastic tool.
Ta - says a lot if your Ultegra item lasted 16k miles and mine's failed in 2k!

Looks like I'm definitely going with the socket tool; just need to find an appropriate example now :smile:

Have the shell faced.
Thanks - that's kind of the plan although as usual I have my reservations about trusting someone else to do it, as well as the paint removal :rolleyes:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A sharp facing tool will only remove paint on the face (a blunt one may chip the paint at the edge). The face is smeared in grease and covered by the cup, so no problem.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

A sharp facing tool will only remove paint on the face (a blunt one may chip the paint at the edge). The face is smeared in grease and covered by the cup, so no problem.
Thanks - that's kind of what I was hoping / expecting on both counts, although it's good to have it confirmed / reinforced. Now all I need to do is be able to trust the place charged with doing the work to have some decent / well maintained tools :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
This...
I have both tools and much prefer the socket type as it doesn't mark the new BB when installing whereas the thinner wrench type does. Also used with a much bigger wrench, getting an old BB off is far easier.

Over the years I have found that there's no rhyme or reason as to the life of external BB's. I have some that have lasted many thousands of miles, some that have given up the ghost far quicker.
indeed the worst i have had is sram powerspline that last maybe 6 months and the much maligned pf 30 on my other bike is 3 years old and still going strong and quiet.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Also is it the original Hollowtech or Hollotech II as the latter is slightly smaller and needs either an adapter ring that fits in the normal Hollowtech/SRAM tool, or a complete new tool if you don't have the original sized one.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Thanks - that's kind of what I was hoping / expecting on both counts, although it's good to have it confirmed / reinforced. Now all I need to do is be able to trust the place charged with doing the work to have some decent / well maintained tools :laugh:
They get blunted rather quickly if you have to face a shell in a chromed frame. Thankfully such occurences are very rare.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Also is it the original Hollowtech or Hollotech II as the latter is slightly smaller and needs either an adapter ring that fits in the normal Hollowtech/SRAM tool, or a complete new tool if you don't have the original sized one.
Thanks - wasn't aware of that. It's a bloody minefield!

Top Bottom